Gennerker measures

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc.
LInsolent
Your Country: Cabanga Iate Clube, Recife, Brazil

Gennerker measures

Post by LInsolent »

Dear Sailors,
I’m new to this forum; greetings to you All.
I own DF 1000-27, L’Insolent, and I’ve just sailed her from Lagos, Portugal to Guinea-Bissau (where I’m based for the time being).

Are there standard measures for the genneker?
If I want to order one, what figures do I have to know?
Is the following enough?
I: 44.2 P:40.5 ISP:
J: 11.3 E: 13.1 SPL: 11.3

Thanks in advance, Z.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

The size of your gennaker depends on the size of your mast. I have the tall mast on my 1000, so those dimension do not apply for a standard mast.
Best thing to do is to actually measure yourself. If you are going to drop some big cash on a new sail,take the measurements yourself.
Talk to your sailmaker, see how big he suggests you go. That dimension will be controled by your foot dimension.
Just remember, the bigger the sail, the smaller the weather window you will be able to use it in.
Keep us posted.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
LInsolent
Your Country: Cabanga Iate Clube, Recife, Brazil

Post by LInsolent »

Many thanks Ted.

The mast length is 14.1m (if I'm not mistaken – I can check – it's the rotating one with 3 diamonds and a red stripe).

I can still fold a sail. To measure it correctly it's a different story. I'm not sure I can do a proper measurement.

My main problem is that I have no sailmakers around. Therefore, I need to order the sail in Europe (or even better in the States if I had someone to bring it without paying customs).

I have a quote from Mauri sails and they gave me the measures above-mentioned when I told them it would be for a DF1000… I also have a quote from a Portuguese sailmaker who repaired my genneker (but I don't like him). There is, however, another Portuguese sailmaker (Vela Rio) whom are very good and I'd like to be sure I was giving them the right measures for them to give me a quote. I'll go to Portugal only in October...

I'll do a google search for "how to measure a genneker". Best regards, Z.
parkhouse
Your Country: U.K./Inverkeithing

Post by parkhouse »

You could go the traditional way and buy from Elvstrom who probably supplied the original equipment. I replaced the main and genoa last autumn and they already had the measurements. They are not cheap but my local sailmaker was impressed and thought they would last longer than those from other manufacturers. You get what you pay for (usually).

Mike Paterson
Champus Df1000/34
Scotland
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

To measure the rig is pretty easy, but you need the correct tools!

You need a steel tape measure, NOT CLOTH, and a friend. That's it.
Tie the end of the tape measure to the end of your spinnaker halyard and hoist away.
Pull tight and measure the dimension to where the end is on your bow sprit is. That is one dimension, next measure to the base of the math, that is dimension two, the third dimension is really up to you as to how big a foot you want on the sail. Take the measurement from the end of the bow sprit to the mast, then like I said earlier, bigger foot = less you will be able to use it. A good measurement on this might be adding about 3 meters (10' feet) beyond the mast. Now that is a pretty big screecher.
Give those dimension to a sail maker and open your wallet. You still need a roller-furler for this and two real big turning blocks, plus about 100' of line to use as a sheet. You are talking a pretty good investment, but again, speed isn't cheap.
Hope that helps.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

tpaliwoda wrote:To measure the rig is pretty easy, but you need the correct tools!

You need a steel tape measure, NOT CLOTH, and a friend. That's it.
Tie the end of the tape measure to the end of your spinnaker halyard and hoist away.
Pull tight and measure the dimension to where the end is on your bow sprit is. That is one dimension, next measure to the base of the math, that is dimension two, the third dimension is really up to you as to how big a foot you want on the sail. Take the measurement from the end of the bow sprit to the mast, then like I said earlier, bigger foot = less you will be able to use it. A good measurement on this might be adding about 3 meters (10' feet) beyond the mast. Now that is a pretty big screecher.
Give those dimension to a sail maker and open your wallet. You still need a roller-furler for this and two real big turning blocks, plus about 100' of line to use as a sheet. You are talking a pretty good investment, but again, speed isn't cheap.
Hope that helps.
Ted
Two more measurements needed:
1) from tack to sheet turning block point
2) from centerline of boat to turning block point.

If you're going to work with a local sail maker you should have them take all the measurements. That let's them see the boat and also makes it clear they will be 100% responsible in case of any fit problems after the sail is made.

On my 1000 I used the lifting eye at the aft beam base for the sheet turning blocks. It worked out very well, but on reaching it helped to barber-haul the sheet outward -- so the effective sheet point was about two to three feet out (away from centerline) from that point.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Gennerker measures

Post by Mika Harju »

LInsolent wrote:Dear Sailors,
I’m new to this forum; greetings to you All.
I own DF 1000-27, L’Insolent, and I’ve just sailed her from Lagos, Portugal to Guinea-Bissau (where I’m based for the time being).

Are there standard measures for the genneker?
If I want to order one, what figures do I have to know?
Is the following enough?
I: 44.2 P:40.5 ISP:
J: 11.3 E: 13.1 SPL: 11.3

Thanks in advance, Z.
One possibility is to buy a Code0 sail, which is easier to handle even single handed and suits especially for ligth winds up to 10 knots. I do have DF1000R with rotating extra tall 15m mast, and I bougth a 45sqm Code0 two years ago. The sail was made of DP ZX30 cloth. It is really good sail for even upwind sailing (apparent angle about 50 degrees) in ligth air. If there is enougth wind (10+ knots) you do not need a bigger head sail. My Code0 fits to the same sheeting point with my normal head sail, I just move the sheet from one sail to another. I do have a Bartels size 2 furling system with 1.0 m bowspirit.
Since then I have updated my rig and sail set: http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... .php?t=266
Prices:
Code0 about 1200 euros
Bartels furler about 600 euros
More information:
http://www.bartelsgmbh.de/rollfockindex.html
http://www.dimension-polyant.com/en/pdf ... e_Zero.pdf
Please see attached drawings and photo.
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Click here: Code0Dimensions42V4Model.pdf for Code 0 design
and click here: DF1000R-8RSailSetV4Model.pdf for complete sail set.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8