singlehanded sailing DF35

For all those DF35 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
Your Country: Netherlands, Winkel NH

singlehanded sailing DF35

Post by Ipe Piccardt Brouwer »

Does anyone of you sail his DF35 singlehanded?
How hard is that? Can you moore and unmoore her alone? Unfolding, setting sail etc?
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
DF920-28 'Ngalawa', Medemblik
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: singlehanded sailing DF35

Post by Double Horizon »

Ipe Piccardt Brouwer wrote:Does anyone of you sail his DF35 singlehanded?
How hard is that? Can you moore and unmoore her alone? Unfolding, setting sail etc?
I can single-hand my 1200 and was also able to single-hand my 1000, so the 35 should be no problem. The autopilot is essential when raising and lowering the sails.

The only problems you might encounter without crew would be when approaching a dock or mooring in strong or gusty winds; where timing and predictable drift becomes critical while you walk away from the helm position. Leaving a mooring or dock should be no problem.

If you get the bow thruster it makes slow-speed maneuvers much easier and more precise. I strongly recommend it.

If you have an electric anchor windlass you should be able to raise anchor from the helm also, even in strong winds with the engine taking up some of the wind load.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

I agree with Larry, for the most part I sail with my wife and kids, that is essentially single handing the boat!
I have no issues up to about 15 knots of wind, after that it gets interesting.
The hardest part about true single handing is getting the boat back on the mooring. It is usually a mad dash to the bow to get the pick-up stick and the mooring lines on the bow cleats.
On my 1000, I have both the main and the jib sheets right next to the steering wheel. When tacking, the main usually tacks itself. The jib is the only sail that I have to bring over.
I usually do not use the autopilot to much - lots of other traffic in my area. I just usually lock it on the wheel brake.
Best thing to do - try on a real light air day- experiment with different things, you will find what works for you and what doesn't.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

Just about anything can be single handed. Look at the solo racers. 100 footers in there. It's all about setting up the boat, and establishing routines. Docking can be challenging, but with a good plan it's doable.

Like Ted, even with the family on board I am single handed. And I've truly single handed a 42' monohull for thousands of miles. Piece of cake, no one gets in your way...... :wink:
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Valentin
Your Country: USA, New York & Rhode Island

Post by Valentin »

I agree with everyone above, and I am only commenting because I just took delivery of my DF 35 Ultimate last weekend, and single-handled it the two days I went sailing without any problems (the first day in 5-8 knots, the second in 10-12).

My girlfriend and my dog joined for the sail, but either just sat in the cockpit or slept downstairs. Well, neither of them knows how to sail :), so I preferred to do everything myself the first time so I don't give confusing instructions.

The autopilot makes raising and lowering the sails very easy, but I think it would be doable - at least for an emergency - to just lock the rudder heading into the wind with the engine, and make sure you raise the main first / lower it last to stabilize the heading with the main sail while making small corrections from time to time on the wheel.

I also have the Raymarine wireless remote, for which I placed the holder next to the genoa winches. This makes tacking and gybing extremely easy, as the main can take care of itself if you sheet it in all the way first, and then you just press a button and take care of the genoa during the maneuver.

Last, I agree that the bow thruster helps a lot when you single hand. It is really easy to place the bow next to the mooring and then go forward and pick it up without drifting away sideways, and docking in stronger wind would be scary alone without the bow thruster.

And I have to confess that the retractable bow thruster is one of my favorite toys on the boat :roll:
DF 35 No. 27
Triplet
tpaliwoda

Post by tpaliwoda »

Valentin - saw you guys out there this past weekend! We have to get together since we are sailing neighbors!
I really like the color of your boat, looks sharp!
email me when you get a chance
sailfast1 @ g mail . com
Best of luck with the new boat!
Welcome to the forum also!
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

Ah yes, I forgot to mention, a reliable autopilot/windvane is a MUST when single handling. On my 42 foot mono I had a hydraulic below decks, AND a wheel pilot as a backup (and ended up using the latter once).
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Valentin wrote:I agree with everyone above, and I am only commenting because I just took delivery of my DF 35 Ultimate last weekend, and single-handled it the two days I went sailing without any problems (the first day in 5-8 knots, the second in 10-12).
Congratulations on your new boat. I have seen pictures and it is quite a beauty. I'm also in your area. Richard can give you my contact info. I enjoy sharing info and swapping stories any time with other owners.

All The Best
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
LInsolent
Your Country: Cabanga Iate Clube, Recife, Brazil

Post by LInsolent »

I sail my DF100 on solo often even launching spi (up to 10KTS). Autohelm helps - I call him "Georges" (engine is "Albert").

One trick to make re-mooring easier is to tie an endless line (3 to 5 metre) to the buoy and to an empty floating big botle of water when you leave sailing. After, it becomes much easier to recuperate that line and subsequently the buoy and the main mooring cable.

Another possibility for a short and easy mooring is to dock aft but be careful with the helm.
Valentin
Your Country: USA, New York & Rhode Island

Post by Valentin »

Ted and Larry,

Thank you very much for your good wishes.

Ted, I will try to write you an email soon - I've just been very busy at work this week.

Larry - you should already have my info on the latest version of the Dragonfly owner's list, and I think I have yours. I'd be very happy to share pictures and stories.

Perhaps we can all meet up at some point for a sail. I have friends coming this weekend, and we will be sailing from Atlantic Highlands, so maybe I will see either of you on the water (if you don't mind the rain too much :wink: ).

Best wishes,

Valentin
DF 35 No. 27
Triplet
tpaliwoda

Post by tpaliwoda »

Valentin,
I will be out tomorrow, weather should be better than today, also, the bay will have a lot of left over chop today from yesterdays storm. I checked on your boat yesterday when I was at AHM, looked just fine. Waves were coming over the breakwater just to your north.
If you are out tomorrow, look for me a couple of miles west of the Navy pier, closer to Staten Island.
If you are looking for a home for your boat, Raritan YC is looking for members and we have space in our mooring field. Check us out at www.ryc.org

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
docclayton
Your Country: USVI, Cruz Bay, St. John

Post by docclayton »

US Virgin Islands Single Handing Perspective (DF35-6):

No problems in light to medium air.

Autohelm is essential for me to single-hand -- I have had to single hand once with autopilot not working in very heavy air and it was a handful and probably quite humorous for anyone watching me try to bring in the genoa and drop the main.

Light to moderate wind (5-12 knots) with autopilot - sailing and handling are quite easy and fun. Auto Tack feature of the autopilot is wonderful and makes taking a non event. Jibing is very easy as long as it is controlled.

Picking up mooring lines okay up to about 10 knots of wind and after that it becomes progressively challenging and probably humorous for someone to watch me position the boat, RUN up to the bow, grab boat hook, miss, run back to the helm, maneuver around the minefield of other boats, reposition, make another run, and do the same thing 2 or 3 times until successful. In 15+ knots of wind(Video available upon special rquest)

Bringing the wings in and out is very simple with an electric winch, no problem. Coming into a slip is unbelievably simple with the bowthruster. Valentin's and my retractable bowthruster have a very special feature -- they go down, take LOTS of money from your pocket, and then retract up.

Dropping anchor, in general, is not a problem. Raising anchor, on the other hand, is a BIG problem in moderate + winds single handing. The Quick Windlass equipped on my DF35 is quirky, lines foul easily, and is way underpowered. Need to create a lot of slack, run up to bow, use windlass on slack line until taught, run back to wheel, go forward, etc. Very messy, high anxiety maneuver, windlass prone to jamming at least once or twice unless manually feeding the line below windlass into anchor locker. This is definitely my least favorite maneuver single handing and can be quite dangerous. In light winds (<6kts), no problem.

Best,

James P. Clayton
DF35-6
US Virgin Islands