Trailing generator

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Trailing generator

Post by Christian »

Hi

Has anybody tried a trailing generator? My fridge takes 4 amp. and that does not the solar cells produce except in real nice sunny days 8). And what is sailing without cold beer...

So what is the impact on speed?
Is it enough to let it trail some hours?
How does it behave in high speed? More than 10 knots?

Or are there some other ideas for charging the battery? Don't like wind generators – because of the sound :( .

Christian
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

I think wind is your second choice if you want to leave the refrigerator on when you leave the boat. Most people don't sail enough to benefit from a trailing generator, unless you are crossing an ocean. The trailing generator would also act like a drogue, and that extra drag is (usually) not desired. I have heard about a generator that can be towed or hung in the rigging as a wind generator... no experience with it however.

If you only need to run the refrigerator when you are aboard, another choice is a small 1000 (or 2000) watt Honda or Yamaha inverter generator (and a bulk charger) to augment your solar panels once a day for an hour or two. You would be surprised how quiet they are -- when not fully loaded they slow the engine down and purr like a kitten. They are actually much quieter than running your boat's engine.

Do not be lured by cheaper imitations -- even a 3db noise rating difference is MAJOR (5 db is about double the perceived level). Engine tone, rattles and harmonics also make a big difference in how annoying they can be. That's why I suggest you stick with those two makers -- they are the best.

Of course, you should still be courteous of neighbors and use it only during day time for short periods.

The 1000 watt units weigh about 13+ kilos and will power a 50-amp charger -- and automatically slow down to quiet mode once the charge taper reduces to ~30 amps. The 2000 watt units weigh about 20 kilos, but will operate on reduced speed even when the charger is at 50 amps. The larger units can also run just about any power tool, a capability that can be useful.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200