Top speed

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Top speed

Post by Mika Harju »

Hello out there!
I would like to open once again the discussion about top speeds. As a DF owner I think everyone reading this forum is interested of this matter.
--
I do have a DF1000R with extra 1.5m tall mast. My top speed so far has been 18.5 knots singlehanded using full main and head sails. Wind was about 10 m/s and the apparent wind angle was about 60 degrees, no waves.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Top Speeds

Post by Steve B. »

I have a DF 1000 with standard rig.
My best speed so far was with full main and Asymmetrical Chute on a beam reach with 1-2 foot seas. 17.5 knots in similar wind.

Steve B.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Top speed for me this year is 15.5 knots. In about 15-20 knots of wind.
My 1000 is also a tall rig. My 9 year old son was steering the boat at the time! You should have see the grin on his face!
My top speed over all has been in excess of 22 knots. I personally don't like to go that fast, stuff happens to quickly and it gets to expensive!
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
solei
Your Country: Netherlands

Post by solei »

I am not sure what you guys do but I have a DF800 from 1987, yes 20 years old with the standard mast but with a 10% extended mainsail and jibsail and did 23 knots in force 6 wind last week. later on 21 knots in force 4 wind. Have to say that I have tri radial high aspect sails.
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
Your Country: Netherlands, Winkel NH

Top speed

Post by Ipe Piccardt Brouwer »

My top speed till now (2nd season owner) is 18.5 knots. At the helm was a friend who never steered a sailboat before (and is now spoiled for the rest of his life...)
I find these higher speeds can easily be obtained on flat water. However, when I was crossing the Northsea downwind (beam reach) in a force 6 this spring, I felt definitely uneasy when surfing down a wave at >15 knots. Especially when at the bottom of the wave 1 or more bows burry a bit and you feel a slight halting. However, it was easily solved by reducing sail some more. We covered 110 miles in 12 hours which I thought was rather neat in those circumstances.
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
DF920-28 'Ngalawa', Medemblik
solei

Post by solei »

I must agree with Ipe Piuccardt Brouwer. I did these speeds on flat water.
Every time I get a speed above 15 knots it is great and tells me I made the right choice with a trimaran. The only down side is that you get spoiled. I would like to have a bigger one with space for 6 people. A FD gets to expensive, so have to look for something else. A 40 feet cruiser/racer monohull would do 9 to 11 knots max so thats not an option.
What other brands build a decent trimaran that could be modified with a decent interior?
David P.
Your Country: Australia, Brisbane/Bulimba

First Sail

Post by David P. »

Hey,
we bought a DF920E one week ago and sailed from the gold coast up to manly it was pretty windy with guests up to 22knt:
we did without the kite 18.4knt
and with the kit 22.7knt
so i think we did pretty well for the first time
David Hyland
Your Country: UK, Salisbury

18.5 knots on Southampton Water....

Post by David Hyland »

Take a look at the Youtube Link below to see how hard we were pushing DF920 Racing to get 18.5 knots on a broad reach in 20+ knots of wind under full main & genoa. Shortly after the clip was taken we got a gust of 30+ knots which pushed the leeward hull under......we had to let everything go to avoid pitch pole. Flat water despite wind speeds.

Don't think we could go any faster on a reach - spinnaker run might give us a couple of knots more but conditions would have to be right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3aoJLai5F8
Dave H

Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

Dave, I love your video. Downloaded it to my laptop and watch it regularly. It is my inspiration for the ongoing restoration of my DF25.....
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Einar Gloersen
Your Country: Norway, Oslo

18 knots on Oslo Fjord

Post by Einar Gloersen »

Here is another Youtube link recorded only two days ago. The boat is a DF35 touring. True wind angle 80-90 degrees, wind speed 20 +-2 knots. Two hours of sailing and average speed approximately 11 knots.
This was the second time doing a little above 18 knots. Not bad for a touring boat. Think it should be possible to reach 20 knots, too much dead weight in the boat at the moment and not enough experience. Only sailed the boat for 8 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0Ygpi-7_w
Einar
DF35 No.16 Gwaihir
buckle.roger
Your Country: spain,benissa/alicante

Post by buckle.roger »

This thread seems to have died?

I have read two boat tests of the new DF28R, they were both in flat water and in good winds 20 plus knots, they seem to get around 16 kns so why is the 28 slower than all the others from 800 to the 35 and 1000 not to mention the 920, My 920 T seems to be as quick

come on any 28 owners lets be hearing from you

roger
Johnt
Your Country: Maidenhead

DF1000 vs 920

Post by Johnt »

buckle.roger wrote:This thread seems to have died?

I have read two boat tests of the new DF28R, they were both in flat water and in good winds 20 plus knots, they seem to get around 16 kns so why is the 28 slower than all the others from 800 to the 35 and 1000 not to mention the 920, My 920 T seems to be as quick

come on any 28 owners lets be hearing from you

roger
Anybody out there sailed a DF920 in comparison to a DF 1000?

I am concerned the 1000 will be considerably slower with a different design and inboard engine etc. Is this true? Is there any sailing data on speeds in various wind strengths? I appreciate to get top speeds flat water is needed
JOHNT
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: DF1000 vs 920

Post by Double Horizon »

Johnt wrote: Anybody out there sailed a DF920 in comparison to a DF 1000?

I am concerned the 1000 will be considerably slower with a different design and inboard engine etc. Is this true? Is there any sailing data on speeds in various wind strengths? I appreciate to get top speeds flat water is needed
I have owned both a 920 touring and 1000 with standard mast. The 920 is slightly faster, but if you are cruising the 1000 is a much more spacious and comfortable boat. Overall if you only want to day-sail and race you should go with the 920. If you want to go overnight for anything longer than a 3-day weekend, the added space and headroom of the 1000 is a better trade-off.

The above only applies if you keep both boats light. If you load up the 920 with water and cruising stores it will be slower on-average than a 1000 carrying the same weight. Also the 1000 is better in strong winds, as a heavier-larger boat things happen a little slower and it's easier to react in time.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

I do have a DF1000R with an extra tall (+1.5m rotating mast and an over sized Square Top main sail (49 sqm). With my new sail set I think I will beat normal DF920 Touring, but not DF920 Extreme.

These boats as all fast boats are very sensitive to the weight. DF1000 has inboard motor, diesel oil tank, 100 l water, steering wheel, warm pressurized water, heater, fridge, 3 batteries and so on. All this means a lot of weight to carry with you.
Ratio SA/D (Sail Area / Displacement) is very important to reach high speeds.

I think 920 is faster especially in light winds, but when there is more wind (20+ knots) DF1000 might be faster.

With my boat it is very easy to reach a speed of 10 knots, 15 knots is not extraordinary, but I have not yet broken the 20 knots barrier. I think I will break it next season :lol:
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
solei

Post by solei »

In the meantime I found out that my log was not well calibrated so the speed mentioned some time ago.....not correct!

Now looking to a 1000 or a 920 extreme. Reading the comments of the forum and compare that with my wish list :lol: it became clear to me that a DF1000 is my kind of boat. Maybe somewhat slower that a 920 but better equiped for a longer stay on board.

Now where to find a decent DF1000, any thoughts?
Does anybody know when Quorning stopped producing the DF1000?

Ciao, Solei
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

solei wrote: Does anybody know when Quorning stopped producing the DF1000?

Ciao, Solei
I think the last one shipped into the US was made in 2001. That boat was damaged and subsequently repaired and I last heard it was in California. Perhaps others were delivered in Europe?
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Dabe
Your Country: Sweden,Helsingborg

Dragonfly 800 SW R

Post by Dabe »

Bought my DF 800 SW R in september 2009 and I've only sailed it for less than 2 months. Fantastic boat and I've topped 18 kts so far in winds around 8-10 m/s. Take a look and enjoy my video on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3DMrLlDjWc
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

Take a look at this topic about Multi2000 rating calculation:
http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... =1310#1310
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
buckle.roger
Your Country: spain,benissa/alicante

Post by buckle.roger »

What has happened to the DF28, has on one bought one? we have No comments anywere from any owners
Lets be hearing what they are like to own/ sail