America's Cup Deed of Gift Race

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

America's Cup Deed of Gift Race

Post by tpaliwoda »

Anyone following this? After all the BS they finally got down to racing today.
I have got to get one of those wing sails!
That was one of the most impressive displays of technology in sailing I have ever seen!
You can follow the races at www.americascup.com They will be re-posting todays race video shortly.
One thing that you will notice is how smooth that tri sails. It accelerates like a race car! Truly amazing.
Another thing to notice is the amount of "camber" that the wing sail has going downwind.
I think we have seen the future of sailing. Can't wait till the second race!

Can't say too much about the cat - back in the day, I sailed my Hobie Cat smoother than what Ernesto sailed that boat. He was all over the place. The rudders were tweaked so many times it wasn't funny. With all the money he spent he should have taken some basic sailing lessons. Boat was not impressive as compared to the 40 footers that are sailing on the Ishare cup. They may have been able to do better on one of those boats. Also notice how long it takes the Cat to recover after a gybe or tack..... It takes forever!

Can't wait for race 2....

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

Pretty wild...... As usual the video doesn't do the boats justice..... but the boat speeds vs apparent vs true numbers are amaaaazing.....
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
buckle.roger
Your Country: spain,benissa/alicante

Post by buckle.roger »

Yep an amazeing beast BUt I dont think Oracle started the race!!!!
The race instructions state the if over the line at the start you must round one end, Oracle did not do that she just dipped over the line in the middle. I am sure the juges know the rules better than I BUT the race instrucrions do state rounding???????
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

The cup comes to the USA.....

Wonder what the next round will look like...... :shock:
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54