Wind instument

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc
richhole
Your Country: UK, Plymouth

Wind instument

Post by richhole »

I have a Raymarine ST40 windex but it does not give an accurate wind direction. Has anyone else suffered this and found a solution? If I can't fix it I will upgrade to an ST60. However, it has a standard 110mm high display unit which will not fit on the 920's binacle above the cabin hatch. I am interested to know how others have got round this problem and where they have sited the display in the cockpit. Thanks, Rich
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Re: Wind instument

Post by Steve B. »

richhole wrote:I have a Raymarine ST40 windex but it does not give an accurate wind direction. Has anyone else suffered this and found a solution? If I can't fix it I will upgrade to an ST60. However, it has a standard 110mm high display unit which will not fit on the 920's binacle above the cabin hatch. I am interested to know how others have got round this problem and where they have sited the display in the cockpit. Thanks, Rich
I also have Raymarine instruments. The wind indicator has a provision in the owner's manual to linearize it. If you haven't, I'd certainly try that first before replacing it.

Steve B.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: Wind instrument

Post by Double Horizon »

I think this is a design issue: The ST40 I had uses a "rotavecta" vane that has one cup with more wind surface, and uses rotational speed variation to calculate direction. This is less accurate in light winds (under 6kt) and useless under about 3kt, especially when waves cause swinging of the mast. You will need to rely more on a simple masthead vane (such as a Davis Windex) and look up more often.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Inexpensive wind speed and direction instrument

Post by Paul »

I have used a simple wind instrument on my last 2 boats, for less than $US100 you can have an accurate readout of wind speed. The company also sell a wind direction indicator on a pole which works fine. Check out their on- line store:

www.inspeed.com

I found them easy to deal with and they know what yachties need.

Cheers, Paul
Mal
Your Country: Wales

ST40 wind

Post by Mal »

I also have an ST40 wind instrument on my 920. Was playing up, so I bought a new masthead unit. Works OK, but as originator of topic states, wind direction not particularly accurate. I also would be very interested to know if anyone has succeeded in fitting an ST60 instrument:- feel sure I've seen a picture somewhere of an ST60 in the middle of the other 40 series units? Or what about a wireless Tactic, would one of those fit?

Mal
DF920 Pelican, Swansea