Pretty in pink.....

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Pretty in pink.....

Post by Oscar »

The removal and replacement of the inner FRP layer and balsa went through a phase where there was only the outer (thin) FRP layer and things were a little floppy for a while, and are now somewhat wavy. I would like to have a somewhat fair hull, and the outer FRP layer needs a little more beef, so it is now time to "fill and fair". Epoxy and glass bubble filler. Laid on fairly thick (1/16th +) with a broad putty knife. That green thing is my new best friend. It's a flexible block sander which uses self stick sandpaper, comes on a roll. ($40 + each :shock: ) I've added some red gel coat tint to give me some contrast with the substrate......not in exact amounts hence the color difference between batches. Not a problem. Over this goes a brushed epoxy layer to cover the entire thing, then primer then paint. I'm probably adding a little weight which the builder avoided in the interest of performance, but at the expense of durability. A tradeoff I'm willing to make. Hey, all that wet balsa wasn't exactly light either.

I will be sailing this spring....I will be sailing this spring....I will be sailing this spring....I will be sailing this spring....

1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I had to stop fussing with it. You have to quit somewhere. So I started putting paint on it. There are a bezillion imperfections, but when I put it all back together and get some Chesapeake slime on it it'll be OK....

Two coats on, one or two more to go....

1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
dragonfly88
Your Country: USA Portsmouth NH

Post by dragonfly88 »

What paint are you using? How are you applying?
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

This is the paint:

http://supermarinepaint.com/bottom-revo ... M-1000.asp

Applied with an HVLP gun at about 35-40 psi.
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Oscar,
Wow looks great! What are you going to do for the bottom paint? or are you just going to keep it on the trailer?

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Thanks! Dry sailing....no bottom paint. Smooooth (= faaaast) 8)
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54