Where are the limits

For all those DF28 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.

When would you take first reef?

16 kts
44%
20 kts
56%
24 kts
No votes

Total votes: 9

aro
Your Country: Sweden, Limhamn

Where are the limits

Post by aro »

Hi all,

Getting to know the boat I wonder if there are principles to apply. When sailing below reaching and having ten centimeters of freeboard left on the leward float, do we keep on pushing or should we let off (I let off that time). Should a pitchpole be expected when the float goes under? Will there bee good time to release main sheet to avoid capsize / pitchpole?

Going up wind over canvased and therefore pointing higher and backing sails, I had the feeling the wind grabbed the windward beam and trampoline, lifting windward float even higher. Could that be the case?

Well, april, you know, varying winds, 5 - 24 kts in short order. Hints and pointers welcome.
Anders
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

That feeling of the windward tramp being picked up by the wind is real, and should be heeded.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

All Dragonflies come with a manual that includes a table of true wind and reefing recommendations. Unless you are racing and willing to take chances, follow Quorning rules for reefing. I don't know DF28 table, but on my cruising 920, first reef on a jib comes at 15 kn upwind. Downwind, at 20-24 kn there is one reef on main and one reef on jib.

At 24 kn, upwind 1 reef in main and 2 in jib.

I am very conservative when sailing with children, and will set reef one step ahead of recommended wind speed.

Also, in multihulls, you have to reef for the gusts.
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

I voted for 20 knots, but I use apparent wind.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Steve B. wrote:I voted for 20 knots, but I use apparent wind.
I'm with you on that Steve, with my 920 and the 1000. With the 1200 I hold full sail until about 23 knots apparent. I would be much more conservative downwind or in gusty conditions, because you can become suddenly overpowered if the boat slows (stuffs a wave) downwind, or in a gust.

When sailing on a reach or upwind we reef for the gusts, and when heading deep downwind we shorten sail enough to be able to round-up or stuff without being overpowered. Downwind is particularly dangerous (especially with spinnaker) when wind is building in strength over time, because it's easy to become complacent if you think you have safety margin until suddenly you are overpowered.

If you're sailing downwind and start thinking "maybe it's time to shorten sail" because the lee bow is being pressed to near-bury, you are in real danger if you stuff the bow at that point. You're probably doing 10+ knots SOG and if apparent wind suddenly increases by that amount you will be at risk of capsize.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

You should always reef early - before you need to. This for me is around 20knts Apparent Wind. Even with a reef in the sail you'll still be faster than 95% of the other boats sailing!
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
aro
Your Country: Sweden, Limhamn

Post by aro »

Thank you all. Very valuable response to my questions. We will gear down and play it safe.
Anders