waterstays

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
toby123
Your Country: USA,Annapolis

waterstays

Post by toby123 »

Anybody have the specs for the DF 800 waterstays? I am looking to replace them and am trying to come up with a ballpark estimate. Is it 8mm dyform wire? If it is Dyform do I need to go up a size if the Dyform is no longer available to compensate for the weaker wire available now?

Thanks!
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: waterstays

Post by Mika Harju »

toby123 wrote:If it is Dyform do I need to go up a size if the Dyform is no longer available to compensate for the weaker wire available now?

Thanks!
Dyform is about 30% stronger because there is more steel on it.
http://www.ropeinc.com/cat-wire-rope.html
It is not a good idea to replace Dyform waterstays with 1x19 wires.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

What you want just isn't common in the US. Why reinvent them when you can buy the right stuff from Dragonfly USA?
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
toby123
Your Country: USA,Annapolis

Post by toby123 »

I hadn't thought about that. Are you talking about Richard Suriani? Is there a website or would I just call him?
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Yes - just call him. If you don't have contact info try the Dragonfly website. He can order from Quorning.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

PYyacht in Annapolis carries Dyform.

http://www.pyacht.com/dyform-wire.htm?E+scstore
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Your in luck, those are the "cheap" ones. An good rigger can make these. They are also a lot cheaper than the big boat ones. I just replacing the ones on my 1000 this year. If in the Annapolis area, Madden rigging does some real fine work, APS just finished their yearly sale, so you just missed that one.
I would go with the Dyform, not a synthetic. If you ever hit anything with the water stay you stand a better chance with steel than the synthetic.
Also - reinventing the wheel on these boats costs $'s. Go with what is proven to work in the past.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA