main halyard

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
toby123
Your Country: USA,Annapolis

main halyard

Post by toby123 »

Anybody know what the breaking strength requirements are for the 800 main halyard? I have the racing mast with a small square top added to the sail. There seems to be quite a range in breaking strengths between different dyneema and vectran lines, as well as price difference.

Also has anybody tried running any lines bigger than 8mm? I have a length of 10mm I am thinking about trying, but I think it will be too big.

Thanks!
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: main halyard

Post by Double Horizon »

toby123 wrote:Anybody know what the breaking strength requirements are for the 800 main halyard? I have the racing mast with a small square top added to the sail. There seems to be quite a range in breaking strengths between different dyneema and vectran lines, as well as price difference.

Also has anybody tried running any lines bigger than 8mm? I have a length of 10mm I am thinking about trying, but I think it will be too big.

Thanks!
Use 8mm Spectra, Dyneema or Vectran, or any other low-stretch line. You are not strong enough to break it.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
toby123
Your Country: USA,Annapolis

Post by toby123 »

I understand that, but I have seen 8mm lines of varying low stretch material ranging in breaking strengths from 7,000 pds. down to under 4,000 pds. I would guess that 4,000 pd. strength would be more than adequate, but there is a lot of force involved. I want to make sure the line will be adequate while keeping costs under control.
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

I would guess that 4,000 pd. strength would be more than adequate
Unless you plan on hoisting a Suburban on deck. :wink:
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Your missing the point, you don't want the line to s t r e t c h .
Buy the line with the least amount of stretch you can afford. Good place to look is APS in Annapolis. Tell them what you are looking for in a high tech low stretch line. Ask if they have any line tails left over - that will save some $'s also. I just did two halyards from them last fall.

You may also look into doing a core to core splice - high tech no stretch up the mast and to the winch, while a cheaper double braid gets spliced on as a tail.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-1485-line.aspx

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Post by Paul »

The main halyard on our 800 is 10mm and it is too big for the sheaves at the mast base. Lots of friction raising the sail. I will be changing it to 8mm low stretch double yacht braid. I used 8mm as my main halyard on my previous boat, a 10 metre Crowther cat with a hell of a lot bigger (and heavier) mainsail than the DF has with no problems at all. The yacht braid is relatively inexpensive and has very little stretch, you can always rig a simple Cunningham downhall to tighten the luff.

cheers,

Paul