check control before buy a used df 920 extreme

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
roby
Your Country: italy, brescia, garda lake

check control before buy a used df 920 extreme

Post by roby »

hi, i hope i'll be the next owner of e df extreme, i'll go this week to see the boat, can some one suggest me the critical things to control ?

thanks roby
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: check control before buy a used df 920 extreme

Post by Double Horizon »

roby wrote:hi, i hope i'll be the next owner of e df extreme, i'll go this week to see the boat, can some one suggest me the critical things to control ?

thanks roby
Good luck and congratulations Roby. You should inspect all mechanical, rigging and structural components as you would when buying any other boat. Check critical hinge areas and folding rigging carefully. The stitches and attachment "piping" (the fabric part that slides into the aluminum channels on the center hull) in the nets may weaken from Ultra-Violet after 5+ years but replacement of the piping and over-stitching is an easy repair if done by a marine canvas shop, and the nets should last at least 12+ years. You should hire an expert marine surveyor, as a survey report will be needed anyway if you plan to insure the boat. Ask when the last time the water-stays were replaced (they should be replaced every 5 years) and if they are past-due you have a point to negotiate. Check replacement cost with your Italian Dragonfly dealer.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
clarivoile
Your Country: La Rochelle FRANCE

and

Post by clarivoile »

keep us informed!
roby

Re: and

Post by roby »

Analysis trimaran dragonfly 920 extreme.
The boat is in good condition, though the sails and equipment shows its five years.
A float is a bit hard to open and squeaks.
The rudder is to be replaced, broke the pin that keeps it fixed in the down position.
All the hardware has to joints micro traces of rust, which does not affect the material, but shows oxidation, is this normal?. Even the screws have the same ugly problem.
The boat was never dismantled and is as it was mounted by quoring, shroud tension, tension screws hulls.
The water stays have 5 years are to change.
Does anyone know the prices: waterstays and rudder blade? px or where to find parts.
Thanks and see you soon in water
Double Horizon

Re: and

Post by Double Horizon »

roby wrote:Analysis trimaran dragonfly 920 extreme.
The boat is in good condition, though the sails and equipment shows its five years.
A float is a bit hard to open and squeaks.
The rudder is to be replaced, broke the pin that keeps it fixed in the down position.
All the hardware has to joints micro traces of rust, which does not affect the material, but shows oxidation, is this normal?. Even the screws have the same ugly problem.
The boat was never dismantled and is as it was mounted by quoring, shroud tension, tension screws hulls.
The water stays have 5 years are to change.
Does anyone know the prices: waterstays and rudder blade? px or where to find parts.
Thanks and see you soon in water
Check your nearest Dragonfly dealer for parts costs. Maybe he will inspect the boat too? Are you referring to the bolt that attaches the rudder to it's stainless bracket and allows it to pivot? There is no pin to keep the rudder down -- it is held down by a line in a jam cleat in the rear of cockpit that flips open to release if the rudder hits an object. I suspect the rudder is OK, it should be able to swing up.

As for mild rust on the stainless, that is normal. If the float needs adjustment or lubrication that is not an issue. Squeaks and occasional clunking noises are to be expected, and so long as the bolts are within tolerance to allow proper movement but still not able to loosen further, you are OK.
roby

Post by roby »

ok, im going to buy it, but it is difficult to have information on spare parts. I need the price of the rudder blade, and the water stay. do you know ?
as i'm waiting few days to have only information, what will happen if i need spare parts around i the mediterrean sea ?

aye
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

roby wrote:ok, im going to buy it, but it is difficult to have information on spare parts. I need the price of the rudder blade, and the water stay. do you know ?
as i'm waiting few days to have only information, what will happen if i need spare parts around i the mediterrean sea ?

aye
You need to contact a dealer. http://www.trimarans.com/contact.aspx