Bow rollers

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Andrew H
Your Country: UK, Humberside/Pembrokeshire

Bow rollers

Post by Andrew H »

For those members that may wish to do more anchoring, FYI I enclose details of my bow roller arangement. I would not be without it, using it very successfully for 2 seasons cruising from the E.coast to the Orkneys, St Kilda and the west Coast of Scotland. Made of quarter inch SS, two off the shelf bow rollers are welded to the backing plate together with 2 fairleads to lead the chain/rope from the roller to the cleat without chafing. It was based on a wooden jig, tack welded and finally made after a number of modifications. The whole weighs aprox 2.5 kilos. It is probably a little over-engineered and weight could be reduced a little by reducing the gauge. To set the anchor I take the chain end (20 metres) and rope required from the locker, lead it through the bow rail and flake it on the trampoline. Having attatched the chain to the anchor (10kg Rodnar - excellent investment) I let go the anchor in the normal way and when I have paid suficient away, my wife holds the boat slack to the anchor whilst I take the bight of chain forward of the aka roller, lead it forward, throw chain/rope over the bow roller, secure the pin to stop it jumping out, lead it to the fairlead and secure on the stb bow mooring cleat. Then anchor in the normal way. More/less scope is easily given. The bowsprit is modified to ensure it does not snag the chain. The whole is attatched from underneath to the bowsprit lug, bolted to the reinforced area forward of the forestay, and on the bow, pt and stb, all with ss backing plates to spread any load. I included a second roller in case I need to set a second anchor but so far I have not had occasion to use it in spite of riding out many blows.
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Compared with the factory setup, this only adds the ability to handle chain over the bow. The sprit modification introduces edges to chafe the rode and that should be a concern.

You wisely expressed concern with weight, yet 20 meters of 1/4" chain weighs about 26 kilos (or more). For better holding you would do better to go up in anchor size and reduce chain. I had only 3 meters of chain on my 920. That small amount of chain was easily handled from the factory-option crossbeam roller where the anchor is normally carried. The rope rode was lighter and easier on the hands than chain, and cleated directly to the bow cleats without any sharp corners to chafe.

If the water is shallow and you need to use the boat to break out the anchor, a chain snubber hook on a 10 meter rope helps get the chain up by allowing you to cleat it short (near-vertical) and use the power of the boat/engine to break out.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Andrew H
Your Country: UK, Humberside/Pembrokeshire

Bow Rollers

Post by Andrew H »

Anchoring always personal but must comment as follows to Larry's reply.
Bowsprit attatchment works well.No chafing. 10kg anchor as much as I wish to handle and (in my opinion) weight in chain more important with any weight of anchor to prevent anchor shaft lifting in a swell. Chain aslo keeps rode short, reducing yawing and essential in confined/crowded anchorages. Many boats in Scotland use 100% chain so if one is using a long rode, one can cause chaos as tide changes! Nevertheless agree 10m nornally fine and only put extra chain on for particular cruising grounds. The roller also eliminates need for a bridle ( cleating direct onto the cleat produces a lot of yawing and any shock load is all wrong for the cleat) and allows the adjustment of the rode in the dark as on a "normal" boat. All I can say in conclusion is that it works well for me.
Andrew H.
Mal
Your Country: Wales

Bow Roller

Post by Mal »

Andrew H, I notice you mention Pembrokeshire as your sometimes location? I'm not far away in Swansea;- nice to meet up sometime? My email is malrat@btinternet.com
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
Double Horizon

Re: Bow Rollers

Post by Double Horizon »

Andrew H wrote:Anchoring always personal but must comment as follows to Larry's reply.
Bowsprit attatchment works well.No chafing. 10kg anchor as much as I wish to handle and (in my opinion) weight in chain more important with any weight of anchor to prevent anchor shaft lifting in a swell. Chain aslo keeps rode short, reducing yawing and essential in confined/crowded anchorages. Many boats in Scotland use 100% chain so if one is using a long rode, one can cause chaos as tide changes! Nevertheless agree 10m nornally fine and only put extra chain on for particular cruising grounds. The roller also eliminates need for a bridle ( cleating direct onto the cleat produces a lot of yawing and any shock load is all wrong for the cleat) and allows the adjustment of the rode in the dark as on a "normal" boat. All I can say in conclusion is that it works well for me.
Andrew all that you wrote is valid. Your boat would sail much better if you kept it lighter. That is a trade-off, as I'm sure you are aware.
Mal
Your Country: Wales

920 Bow Roller etc

Post by Mal »

Has anyone else fitted a bow roller for the anchor? Whilst pulling up anchor from starboard aka, nowhere to quickly cleat off? Anyone fitted a cleat in that area as an alternative? Suspect deck moulding not strong enough to take a cleat in that area?

Standard arrangement of cleat on main hull bow, and roller 3m away on front beam not ideal?

Any ideas
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

If you were to design a bow roller for the 920, moving the sprit attachment so it attaches to the top of the roller assembly would eliminate chafe concerns and provide less interference with anchor as it comes up close to the roller.