TBS deck layer replacement

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

TBS deck layer replacement

Post by Mika Harju »

Has anyone replaced the TBS deck layer material? There are instructions how to install a new one, but I could not find out what is the best way to remove the existing one?
Instructions:
http://www.tbs-antiderapant.com/ml/imag ... colang.pdf
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

TBS Deck layer replacement

Post by tpaliwoda »

Mika:
Have I got a fix for you! I ripped all that junk off the deck / cockpit last year, and it wasn't easy!
I used a product called Seadek, http://www.Seadek.com/
It is a stick a rubber non skid - stick on product.
Real easy to apply, cleans very well, does not get hot! and the big plus is that it reduces fatigue while standing for long times!
I tested a piece of this on the swim platform for a year before doing the cockpit. It has really stood up well.
The removal of that TBS was a real pain. I pulled up as much as I could. Then scrapped and sanded off the fuzzy portion that was left. I was never really happy with that stuff. It was always real hot, and was a next to impossible to keep clean.

Check it out, it worked well for me.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: TBS deck layer replacement

Post by Mika Harju »

Mika Harju wrote:Has anyone replaced the TBS deck layer material? There are instructions how to install a new one, but I could not find out what is the best way to remove the existing one?
Instructions:
http://www.tbs-antiderapant.com/ml/imag ... colang.pdf
This task is easy and fast to do by using Bosch multitool PMF 180E and segment knife tool without any teeth. (Fein has similar machine)
http://www.bosch-do-it.co.uk/boptocs2-u ... t_id=14153
It is easy to remove all the TBS layer and Sikaflex without damaging gelcoat surface.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

I have done it Ted's way. Unfortunately I did not know about this tool until later. It would have gone better. :(

I now own the Fein version of the multi-tool Mika writes about. Another use I found for the tool (using saw blade) is to cut the floor to remove the stainless holding tank from beneath the main cabin in the 1000. It allows a flush-cut next to the centerboard and seat, with precise control and minimal dust. (Unfortunately I later had to use an angle-grinder and made a lot of dust). That project came out very nicely, and I finished the project with a hinge on the floor and had a nice convenient storage space in the bilge. The new poly-plastic tank went into the space beneath the v-berth.

The multitool with the knife blade is also great for removing difficult dried sealant on flat surfaces.

Also -- I have a supply of the TBS deck material, if anyone in the US needs some let me know.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
dragonfly88
Your Country: USA Portsmouth NH

Post by dragonfly88 »

bosch make a powerful cordless model as well
vinz
Your Country: United Sates, New York

Post by vinz »

Double Horizon wrote:I have done it Ted's way. Unfortunately I did not know about this tool until later. It would have gone better. :(

I now own the Fein version of the multi-tool Mika writes about. Another use I found for the tool (using saw blade) is to cut the floor to remove the stainless holding tank from beneath the main cabin in the 1000. It allows a flush-cut next to the centerboard and seat, with precise control and minimal dust. (Unfortunately I later had to use an angle-grinder and made a lot of dust). That project came out very nicely, and I finished the project with a hinge on the floor and had a nice convenient storage space in the bilge. The new poly-plastic tank went into the space beneath the v-berth.

The multitool with the knife blade is also great for removing difficult dried sealant on flat surfaces.

Also -- I have a supply of the TBS deck material, if anyone in the US needs some let me know.
Ive tried to use that multitool withe knife you mean,,, it's really great.