No Jib Halyard on DF 800

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

No Jib Halyard on DF 800

Post by Paul »

This may seem a silly question, but I cannot see a jib halyard on my DF 800. Surely the mast doesn't have to be dropped to change the headsail?
The mast and rigging were replaced by the previous owner, was there no jib halyard on the original rig? Any information appreciated.

Paul
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: No Jib Halyard on DF 800

Post by Mika Harju »

Paul wrote:This may seem a silly question, http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... &p=1607but I cannot see a jib halyard on my DF 800. Surely the mast doesn't have to be dropped to change the headsail?
The mast and rigging were replaced by the previous owner, was there no jib halyard on the original rig? Any information appreciated.

Paul
In my DF1000 there is no jib halyard neither. The top of headsail is lifted up with spinnaker halyard and it is locked there by a special halyard swivel equipped with a spring loaded mechanical hook. Spinnaker halyard is removed and the sail stays up.

When you want to get the headsail down you just use the releasing rope or wire fitted to the headsail and release the spring loaded hook.

I replaced my forestay this year and I could not find a similar system so I was to build it by myself. There is no halyard extension problem when the top of the sail is mechanically locked up.
Take a looka at http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... .php?t=332
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Paul

Post by Paul »

Mika thanks for the very fast response. I understand the raising of the headsail using the spinnaker halyard but does that mean someone has to go up the mast to retrieve the halyard and secure the spring loaded hook?
The same question when lowering the sail, do you have to go up the mast to release the spring loaded hook? Where is the releasing rope or wire you mentioned? On my DF on the foot of the sail there is just a downhall line to secure the foot to the furling drum. I Very nice professional drawings of your system Mika.

Cheers

Paul
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Post by Mika Harju »

Paul wrote:Mika thanks for the very fast response. I understand the raising of the headsail using the spinnaker halyard but does that mean someone has to go up the mast to retrieve the halyard and secure the spring loaded hook?
The same question when lowering the sail, do you have to go up the mast to release the spring loaded hook? Where is the releasing rope or wire you mentioned? On my DF on the foot of the sail there is just a downhall line to secure the foot to the furling drum. I Very nice professional drawings of your system Mika.

Cheers

Paul
There is no need to do any climbing at all.

This is a very clever system: no extension nor problems with a halyard twisted aroud the forestay. This system also reduces the compression force to the mast by 50% :D

I do have a special tool like a hook to be attached to the spinnaker halyard when hoisting the jib. It works like a down haul rope after the jib has been locked up. I could take a few photos of my system and attach those here if needed.

The releasing rope (2mm Dyneema) or wire is located next to the luff of the jib.

My system does also have a couple of blocks located on the foot of the sail to adjust the luff tension. My jib is equipped with carbon fiber yarns so this rope needs to be a little bit elastic. Otherwise when forestay extends and carbon fibers does not it will break the sail when wind goes up.

Cheers
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
dragonfly88
Your Country: USA Portsmouth NH

jib halyard

Post by dragonfly88 »

Hi Paul,

Surprising that you have no halyard. My df25 has an internal jib halyard and an external spinnaker halyard. Might not be too tough to add one.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks for the input from Mika and Dragonfly88. Mika, I am assuming the set up on your 1000 for raising /lowering the headsail is the custom one you built? The previous owner of my boat broke the mast 18 months ago so the system is not as it was when it left the factory.
I will have to take a trip up the mast in the bosun's chair and see how it works. The spinnaker halyard is internal as is the genoa halyard, but no sign of a jib halyard.

Paul

Dragonfly 800 254