Yacht Transportation

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
penryj
Your Country: New York, NY

Yacht Transportation

Post by penryj »

Has anyone out there had any experience of using yacht transportation services (such as Dockwise). It may be relocating from Dubai to the New York area and am looking for transportation options.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

If you get in touch with our member "Valentin" i do believe he is going this summer or fall from Newport RI to Europe. If you cant find his contact info, drop me an email and I will send it to you.

If you are going to be in the NYC area, look me up. Valentin and I both stored our boats at the same boat yard this past winter.

We also currently have room at my YC for shallow draft boats.

Good luck
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

A DF35 was transported from Newport RI to the US Virgin Islands last year or year before. From what I heard it all went very smoothly. Richard of Dragonfly USA can provide more info if you are in touch with him. His contact info is on the Dragonfly company website dealer page.

It seems everyone who uses them says Dockwise is an "amazing operation".

I invite you to get in touch with me if in the NY area. I know of some good places in the Long Island Sound and Rhode Island area for you to keep your boat if that is of interest.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Valentin
Your Country: USA, New York & Rhode Island

Re: Yacht Transportation

Post by Valentin »

penryj wrote:Has anyone out there had any experience of using yacht transportation services (such as Dockwise). It may be relocating from Dubai to the New York area and am looking for transportation options.
I have not been to the forum in a while, so I am sorry for only replying now. I wanted to use Dockwise to send my boat back from Newport RI to Europe, but while there was a boat last year that would have fitted my schedule perfectly, it has been canceled this year and thus I cannot use Dockwise.

I am currently booking my trip with Sevenstar (sevenstar.nl), which provide a lift-on / lift-off service instead of float-on/float-off, either with the mast standing or separate on deck. While I have not shipped my boat yet (I will in August/September), the customer service so far has been very good, and the offer I received to ship from Newport RI to Kalungborg in Denmark (I'll store my boat with Quorning over winter and have them do some modification necessary for Switzerland, my final destination) was about the same it would have cost to send a Dragonfly 35 from the Caribbean to New York on Dockwise, so I am quite happy with the pricing. Roll-on/Roll-off is still a bit cheaper, but it requires taking the mast etc. apart, and bad things can happen in ports from personal experience.
DF 35 No. 27
Triplet