What size rivets in stainless steel plates on beams

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

What size rivets in stainless steel plates on beams

Post by Paul »

The stainless steel mounts on the forward beams -- the mounts to which the water stays attach-- are pop riveted to the rear of the fibreglass beams. The rivets on my DF are badly corroded, some have completely disappeared
and I am anxious to replace them. Does any one know what size rivets, both length and gauge were used by Quorning? The rivets used on my boat appear to have been alloy, I am thinking of using stainlness steel or monel -- any thoughts on this? Does any one know if there is a backing plate on the inside of the beam for the rivets to spread the load? Any assistance much appreciated,

Paul

DF 800 # 254
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Replacing rivets in akas

Post by Paul »

I can now answer my own question, the replacement rivets need to be 3/4 inch (approx 25mm ) in length, my drill holes were 6.5 mm and that is the guage I used for the replacements. I hired a rivet tool with a nozzle large enough to take the shank of the rivet, which measured 4 mm. There is a thin backing plate which appears to be alloy. I used a waterproof teflon paste as an anti corrosion barrier. You need a lot of force to "pop" this size rivet so use either a two handed tool or a concertina tool. A regular hand riveter won't do the job.

Cheers, Paul