unsinkable

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
clarivoile
Your Country: La Rochelle FRANCE

unsinkable

Post by clarivoile »

good evening all

Why the dragonfly are "predicate unsinkable" by Quorning but not certified as such?
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: unsinkable

Post by Double Horizon »

clarivoile wrote:good evening all

Why the dragonfly are "predicate unsinkable" by Quorning but not certified as such?
Good question. I know of several different incidents with main hull flooded but the boat did not sink. You should ask Quorning.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Unsinkable DFs

Post by Bo Wetzel »

I think the explanation is like this:

If you add the volume of the foam cores of the hull and the amas together it will displace much more water than the total weight of the boat.
Hence, she is unsinkable (unless you load the boat with led/stones etc.)

If I remember rightly, to be classified "unsinkable" under the CE rules you must fill a (new and complete!) boat with water to proof it floats still when totally filled. Imagine what this does to your nice interior, the electrics and the engine etc etc. A rather costly exercise. I don't think a theoretical unsinkability is being accepted by the CE certification bodies. Rest assure, none of the DFs have, to my knowledge, sunk yet.
clarivoile
Your Country: La Rochelle FRANCE

Well

Post by clarivoile »

you must be right, but with the number of 920 built, this could have been a good idea, knowing that some constraints apply when not unsinkable in some europeans countries!