Repairng the trampoline

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Christine
Your Country: UK, South Coast

Repairng the trampoline

Post by Christine »

I need to get a trampoline repaired, can I take the trampoline off and then put the wing back out for balance, or is the trampoline structural in providing support?

And why is the manual from Quoring so limited!

Thanks

Christine
Michael Riis
Your Country: Denmark, Hornbaek

Re: Repairng the trampoline

Post by Michael Riis »

Christine wrote:I need to get a trampoline repaired, can I take the trampoline off and then put the wing back out for balance, or is the trampoline structural in providing support?

And why is the manual from Quoring so limited!

Thanks

Christine
Hi Christine.

Last year I took my trampoline off and i left the wing out all the time. I did not sail whitout the trampoline.

Best regards

Michael Riis
DF800SW - 265
Christine
Your Country: UK, South Coast

Thank you

Post by Christine »

Thanks Michael, will get it repaired before it gets any worse now.

Best wishes

Christine :D
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Christine;
I posted this a while ago on the General Forum.
"I just happened to send mine out yesterday to Sunrise to get repaired for just that same issue. It seems the tramp material is in great shape, just the bolt rope and seam where it attached to the main hull was trashed.
Talk to Richard at Sunrise. http://www.multihullnets.com/
The price for new tramps was about $1880.00 - ouch! He didn't quote me a firm price yet on the repair, but from what I described to him of what needed to be done, the repair was going to be in the neighborhood of $250.00.

I'll update this thread when I find out more."

Ted[/quote]

By the way, they came out great.
And at $250.00 to repair both tramps, it was the way to go.
Good luck
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

UV degrades the trampoline threads

Post by Double Horizon »

The issue that causes problems first is UV. The trampolines are sewn with polyester thread, which has about a 5-7 year life, depending on location and winter storage.

You can buy Gore-Tex thread (trade name "Tenara") that is not as strong (for the same diameter) as polyester but does not degrade. It is very expensive (a large 875m spool that is enough for two 1200's is about $150 USD), and I recommend you get the heaviest weight Tenara you can find.

As preventive maintenance, I bought the Tenara thread this year and had a sail maker back-stitch (over-stitch) the existing polyester sewing on my 7-year-old nets (using a zig-zag stitch, which is less likely to weaken the underlying net fabric). I expect the nets to last at least another 7+ years without failure, although I might replace cables in a few more years (also as preventive maintenance). Cables should be inspected regularly anyway, especially at the terminations.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
MJF
Your Country: UK, Macclesfield / Cheshire

UK Trampoline Repairs

Post by MJF »

Had a simialr problem to you guys, the tread went holding the tramp together.
Took it off (with the float out) and had it repaired by Mouse Sails in Holyhead.
They collected it, repaired it and dropped it back to the marina inside a week for £60.
I can't recommend them enough, they will be getting my business for a new sprayhood with service like that. (not on commission but maybe I should be!)
tpaliwoda

Post by tpaliwoda »

Just had one of my rear tramps re-sewn today. The canvas shop did it while i waited, $20 for the repair. Good for a few more seasons!
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Tramp repair

Post by Steve B. »

I've got a DF1000.
I got tired of restitching my own tramps every 2 years, so I finally bought some GoreTex thread.
I restitched them a couple of months ago and am looking forward to several years of not having to redo this job.

Steve B.
(A sewing machine repairman)
tpaliwoda

Post by tpaliwoda »

Steve, If you ever come across a good used sewing machine that can repair the tramps and canvas give me a shout.
Thanks
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

You and about a million other people...

Get an '80's vintage Viking in good condition.
They have a low gear. Most of them are in pretty bad condition, but if you can find one that works well, grab it. Either that or a Pfaff with a built in walking foot.

Steve B.