Updated steering wheel

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Updated steering wheel

Post by Mika Harju »

I did not like the size of the original steering wheel. It was impossible to reach good ergonomic position with it when steering or simply my hand was too short :D .
I decided to cut off the center part of the original wheel, and recycle it to a new one.
The design come from need to see GPS chart plotter. It took about 10 hours and 200 euros to build it.
I am still wondering will I cover the wheel with Lorica synthetic leather or with some kind on polyurethane coating.
Attached you'll find a couple of photos of the new wheel before it has been finished and polished and also a drawing how to build it if interested.

Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Baboonty
Your Country: France/boat in Spain (Barcelona)

Post by Baboonty »

Mika, I also would like to have a bigger wheel but I expect to increase the actual diameter by only 20 cms. You have now a 100 cms wheel, do you feel happy with it?
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

Baboonty wrote:Mika, I also would like to have a bigger wheel but I expect to increase the actual diameter by only 20 cms. You have now a 100 cms wheel, do you feel happy with it?
It is perfect. Steering in high speeds is much easier and you don't need to work so hard any more. Ergonomics is much better when sitting between the winches as I always do.
With big wheel it is also possible to steer when standing on the both seats behind the wheel and looking ahead over the cockpit tent. This helps when you're doing harbor manoeuvres.
This has been a great improvement. I recommend it for all DF1000.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Baboonty

Post by Baboonty »

yes I can believe you, the original wheel is quite ridiculous and really unconfortable when you stay hours steering in windy conditions.

I found on Ebay a 81 cms Lewmar Commodore wheel but I'm wondering if it will fit on the current steering axis. Do you have any idea, I'm quite far from my boat?
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

Baboonty wrote: I found on Ebay a 81 cms Lewmar Commodore wheel but I'm wondering if it will fit on the current steering axis. Do you have any idea, I'm quite far from my boat?
I do have a project going on to make a carbon steering wheel. Mould and stainless steel centre are ready made at the moment. Are you interested to get one after mine is ready made? It should weight less than 2kg which means low inertia. This makes steering light both for human and autopilot.

Attached you'll find my measurements of the Edson pedestal axis. I could not find any exact dimensions for the cone from any pedestal or steering wheel manufacturers so the cone angle might be slightly wrong.

Image Please click on the photo to see it enlarged!
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Baboonty

Post by Baboonty »

Mika I'm interested in your project, but I'm afraid a carbon wheel is too much expensive for me.
Do you have any idea of the cost and delay?
What will be the wheel diameter? Will the design allow to keep and mount the same autopilot?

Olivier
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

Baboonty wrote: Do you have any idea of the cost and delay?
What will be the wheel diameter? Will the design allow to keep and mount the same autopilot?

Olivier
Biggest diameter will be 990 and tube diameter 30. Autohelm autopilot unit will directly fit to it.

I think I could get the first wheel ready made within a few weeks. At the moment I do not know the exact cost, but I'll find it out.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

Baboonty wrote:Mika I'm interested in your project, but I'm afraid a carbon wheel is too much expensive for me.

Olivier
After the carbon wheel is ready made I do not need the stainless steel wheel any more. Are you interested to buy it?
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Baboonty

Post by Baboonty »

Mika,

did you get your new carbon wheel?
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

Baboonty wrote:Mika,

did you get your new carbon wheel?
Project is not ready yet, now the new target is next summer
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8