Strong wind sailing

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Strong wind sailing

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

After 18 years in this fast (for a monohull) classic http://www.sskf.se/2009/Nypan/Images/La ... nTesla.jpg we are looking for less work, more comfort and speed but most of all to try something new.
We sail mostly in the Stockholm archipelago but want to go offshore as well - to Gotland or Bornholm.
We are considering DF28S or DF920E but have as multihull novices two concerns/questions:
1 - You should avoid it but sometimes can't, how do you sail your DF in really strong wind? - In the archipelago you have to be able to go upwind at any time - islands in the way/quick change of wind direction. Do you sail ok with only reefed main, only with genoa or need the both to be able to go upwind.
2 - What is the risk of capsizing with these boats? - Wouldn't be nice with the family inside.
/Stefan
Mal
Your Country: Wales

DF in strong winds etc

Post by Mal »

I have a DF920. In my experience, you need both jib and main to sail effectively upwind. My jib haliard broke once when going upwind in a good blow, so I tried sailing on main alone:- virtually impossible. However, will go upwind on jib alone, but obviously not as close to the wind as you could with both sails set and reefed.

If you reef down early, you will not be concerned about safety in the DF. The boats are 'thoroughbreds', are balanced and very reassuring in dirty weather. Also, I have found that all the sailing systems;- travellers, reefing gear, etc etc all work under load.

There are many things about the new 28 that I like;- float winching system, headroom over a greater area, etc. However, I think it is more of a sportsboat, whereas the 920 is in my opinion, more of a fast cruiser. I also think that the 920 is prettier;- more flowing lines, and less angular than the 28. Standard 920 has more traditional classic interior, whereas standard 28 looks more utilitarian, but not as bad as a Corsair/F boat!

If sailing with family, I am happier with closed transom of the 920 than I would be with open transom 28. Don't want any sproggs going out through the open 'back door'!

In case anyone from Quornings reading this, a 920 with the improved 28 folding sytem, and 28 style Heads/Front cabin layout would be perfect!

No offence to 28 owners! I think that the 28 is lovely, but more suited to round the buoys racing than family crusing. (No anchor locker, no under cockpit locker)
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
clarivoile
Your Country: La Rochelle FRANCE

Well

Post by clarivoile »

Just have to wait for the 32 :)
Mal
Your Country: Wales

DF32

Post by Mal »

Do you know something that I don't? A '32' on the way?

Mal
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
clarivoile

Just

Post by clarivoile »

launching....Between 35 and 28, I do think there is a gap which a 32 could fill nicely :idea:
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

Thanx for your answer Mal.
We've tested/checked out the 28S so far - and liked it a lot - but will check out the 920E as well.
A new 32 will be too expensive for us I guess and also I want the boat as small and easy to handle as possible but still with reasonable comfort under deck. The 920 and the 28 seem very close to each other so good to get the differences cleared out. We won't trailer a lot so that difference doesn't matter. Good quality feeling of the DF and also being able to manouver and even harbour the boat folded make them stand out.
/Stefan
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

DF32 on it's way!

Post by Bo Wetzel »

YES, the DF32 it's on it's way but you'll have to wait till 2012. It should appear in January 2012 at the Düsseldorf Boot in Germany.
clarivoile

eh eh eh

Post by clarivoile »

surprise surprise! :D
D920 E
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
Your Country: Netherlands, Winkel NH

DF 32

Post by Ipe Piccardt Brouwer »

I'm very interested.
Anybody knows any details?
Trailerable?
Accomodation size?
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
DF920-28 'Ngalawa', Medemblik
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

DF32

Post by Bo Wetzel »

NO, not trailerable.
A smaller version of the DF35
Optional inboard or outboard engine
Standard tiller steering (wheel optional)
Promise of becoming the fastest DF

More details soon.
clarivoile

looks

Post by clarivoile »

perfect to me. Faster is a must
D920 E
Thomas Larsson
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

Re: DF 32

Post by Thomas Larsson »

Ipe Piccardt Brouwer wrote:I'm very interested.
Anybody knows any details?
Trailerable?
Accomodation size?
Ipe, have a look here:

http://www.baadmagasinet.dk/index.php?s ... 766&page=1

//Mr W
Dragonfly 32, SWE11
Grace O'Malley