Stiff Roller Reefing on Head Sail

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Christine
Your Country: UK, South Coast

Stiff Roller Reefing on Head Sail

Post by Christine »

It's that time of year again when I've got to work my way through a list of jobs on the boat. Can anyone help with the first issue?

We have an original Head Sail roller reefing, but when reefing in, the roller can jam or just get stiff to the point the sail cannot be brought in on the reefing line. When it gets like this we have to go forward and manually turn the reefing drum with a screwdriver acting as a lever. I know this is not good for the system, can anyone give me any ideas why the reefing system is as stiff as this?

Thanks

Christine
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: Stiff Roller Reefing on Head Sail

Post by Double Horizon »

Christine wrote:It's that time of year again when I've got to work my way through a list of jobs on the boat. Can anyone help with the first issue?

We have an original Head Sail roller reefing, but when reefing in, the roller can jam or just get stiff to the point the sail cannot be brought in on the reefing line. When it gets like this we have to go forward and manually turn the reefing drum with a screwdriver acting as a lever. I know this is not good for the system, can anyone give me any ideas why the reefing system is as stiff as this?

Thanks

Christine
Christine, this could be any number of issues -- including corrosion or damaged bearings. The only way to know is to disassemble the furling system, and inspect it (and the wire headstay). If your rigging is more than 10 years old it may be a candidate for replacement, anyway. If you don't have experience or know what to look for when inspecting rigging there are many articles online, or it may be best to hire a rigger. If you hire someone, try to be there so you can ask questions and increase your first-hand knowledge.

When I hired someone to replace the standing rigging on my 1000, it was a real education. Not only did we discuss my boat, but the rigger had a box of failed (and failing) parts and fittings he called his "hall of shame", and he showed me a wide variety of failures and things to look for. That was like getting years of experience in about 20 minutes of show-and-tell.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Christine

Re: Stiff Roller Reefing on Head Sail

Post by Christine »

"Christine, this could be any number of issues -- including corrosion or damaged bearings. The only way to know is to disassemble the furling system, and inspect it (and the wire headstay). "

Thanks Larry, will strip the system out and have a look. There is no wire headstay as the furling system is the original solid system, but will get it looked at.

Best wishes

Christine
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Furling issues

Post by tpaliwoda »

Sounds like you have a Flexi-furl system by CDI- I would really recommend a little upgrade - Profurl just recently had a big sale on smaller units here in the US. I do believe there were some units in your size for around $700.00
There equipment is pretty much "bullet-proof".
As for the wire forestay, it is incorporated within the flexi-furl unit.
It isn't a hard fix at all, especially if the mast is down already.
Should only really take you an afternoon to replace the unit, it is very do-it-yourself friendly.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thanks Ted, the only hard bit sounds like the price :o

Will make a decision once I've stripped the old one out.

Thanks

Christine
Christine

Bartels Roller Reefing

Post by Christine »

I have taken down the reefing system, and found it's a reefing system by Bartels. It's shot to pieces, but don't know what to replace it with. If I put a complete new system in such as Profurl, will it be strong enough to hold the mast up, or will the reefing part be under too much pressure?

Christine
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: Bartels Roller Reefing

Post by Double Horizon »

Christine wrote:I have taken down the reefing system, and found it's a reefing system by Bartels. It's shot to pieces, but don't know what to replace it with. If I put a complete new system in such as Profurl, will it be strong enough to hold the mast up, or will the reefing part be under too much pressure?

Christine
Profurl uses an inner forestay. You should inspect your standing rigging and cables in your folding system. If it's older than 10 or 12 years it may be time to replace it as "preventive maintenance". If your water stays are older than 5 years, it is time to replace.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Bartels Roller Reefing

Post by tpaliwoda »

Christine,
I had a Profurl unit on my old 25 and one on currently on my 1000.
It is not just a furling unit but you could also reef the genoa with it. It is nice having the capability to reef the genoa with relative ease.
The forestay, is located inside the aluminum extrusion. The roller drum sits below the deck. So that keeps your sail real close to the deck.
I have set up two of these units already. Not a complicated job, but will take you the better part of an afternoon to do the job.
Like I said earlier....if you can find one on sale, it would be a good investment!
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
popeonarope
Your Country: UK, Keyhaven/HANTS

furler

Post by popeonarope »

Although this may not be issue here, and may be because my furler is rather mature, I've found that simply letting off the backstay tension allows me to roll in the headsail when it would otherwise stick - worth a try first..

Humphrey.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Humphrey, thanks for your reply. The bearings turned out to be absolutely shot, and had to have major work on the roller unit, but it is now working and reinstated on the boat.

Thanks everyone for their help and advice.
popeonarope
Your Country: UK, Keyhaven/HANTS

Supplier for old roller reefing system

Post by popeonarope »

For folks' interest:

www.rigrite.com in the USA appear to supply all parts for the original isofurl roller reefing gear fitted to my early 90's DF 800.

A new bearing kit is $329

http://www.rigrite.com/furling/Isofurl/ ... _Main.html

Humphrey.