Mainsail halyard winch

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
tim rowley
Your Country: UK, Falmouth

Mainsail halyard winch

Post by tim rowley »

I would like to change the standard starboard side coachroof Andersen winch to a self-tailer for easier single-handed use. The ST equivalent has a slightly larger diameter but would still fit in the existing space. Andersen confirm that the mounting centres are identical, but it is not possible to access the underside of the mounting. Has anyone tried to do this?
Tim Rowley, DF920 Touring 126, "Viva"
Jacob Blom
Your Country: The Netherlands, Harlingen

Re: Mainsail halyard winch

Post by Jacob Blom »

tim rowley wrote:I would like to change the standard starboard side coachroof Andersen winch to a self-tailer for easier single-handed use. The ST equivalent has a slightly larger diameter but would still fit in the existing space. Andersen confirm that the mounting centres are identical, but it is not possible to access the underside of the mounting. Has anyone tried to do this?
I did change a winch once and found that the nuts are laminated into the deck. So there was no need for access from the cabinside.

Greetings,
Jacob Blom
roby
Your Country: italy, brescia, garda lake

Post by roby »

did you change ?, i want to do the same but i dont know if there is a problem with the spyhood, non enught space.
did you use the self tailing winch with the sprayhood ?
thanks
Jacob Blom
Your Country: The Netherlands, Harlingen

Post by Jacob Blom »

roby wrote:did you change ?, i want to do the same but i dont know if there is a problem with the spyhood, non enught space.
thanks
I changed a nr 40 Andersen winch (not selftailing), because of a production failure. A friend of mine sails a 920 with selftailing ST 40 winches under his sprayhood. I expect that it is not possible to turn the handle all the way round, but it seems not to be a big problem for him.
roby

Post by roby »

thank you. I use to sail with my lady, i think a self tail can help us.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Post by Mika Harju »

Jacob Blom wrote:
roby wrote:did you change ?, i want to do the same but i dont know if there is a problem with the spyhood, non enught space.
thanks
A friend of mine sails a 920 with selftailing ST 40 winches under his sprayhood. I expect that it is not possible to turn the handle all the way round, but it seems not to be a big problem for him.
As standard there are 8''(200mm) and 10''(250mm) winch handles available. If 8'' is too long it is quite easy to shorten a standard Andersen stainless steel handle just cutting a piece away from the middle and welding the pieces together.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
roby

Post by roby »

thank you,
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

There is absolutely no problem turning the regular winch handle all the way around with the spray hood. The longer handle is less convenient but still workable.

In any case, I never needed the longer handle on the primary winch.
roby

Post by roby »

i change mine, no problem, open your old andersen and put the new, no more than 10 min.