Cape-Verde - Brazil

For all those DF1000 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
LInsolent
Your Country: Cabanga Iate Clube, Recife, Brazil

Cape-Verde - Brazil

Post by LInsolent »

Mindelo - Fernando de Noronha 1,305 NM (10-20 March 2011)
Noronha - Recife 302NM (22-24 March 2011)
My very best holidays, ever. Actually, since I've bought "L'Insolent" in 2008, every holiday gets better.

I have now sailed some 8,000 NM and I start to know my Boat in detail. It is the best Boat in the Navy!

Good facilities at the Cabanga Iate Clube de Pernanbuco, Recife, Brasil but mind the entrance at low tide and the fishermen with pulling nets-
danceswithwaves-DF1000
Your Country: france, porquerolles

Cape-Verde - Brazil

Post by danceswithwaves-DF1000 »

Did you get strong wind conditions?.
How is the boat in that conditions?.
You say you know your boat very well now, do you have problems during your 8,000 miles?
LInsolent

Cape-Verde - Brazil

Post by LInsolent »

Hi There “Dances with Waves”! Yah Man :!:

We did not get too much Wind and more and more I am tempted to say that Wind will never be enough while noticing that for each hour of brezze there will be always a calm hour - please mind that I always write 'Wind' with a capital 'W' as a way to pay my grateful respects to this dearest Friend of us.

In my modest opinion, I'd say that March a fine month for the NE-SW Transat.

We've got good 10 to 20's for the first 5 days with occasional tropical storms all the way down to Noronha (I believe there were 6 of them in total). Mainsail can stay up all the time – at least up to 50 Knots. What is important is to save your foresails. So, if you notice a sudden Wind increase with gray zones in the horizon, and even more so if they are heading towards your nose (firstly with drops of rain - later with sound opportunities for a free hydro-massaged shower) save fresh water from your 100 Lt tank and take a good bath for free; but before the soap, love your sails rolling them in ASAP. The darker the gray in the Sky, the greater the potential to destroy your furling code-0 or your light Wind Genoa – or even a good old Genoa. Yes, I have now a new and excellent "Vela Rio"’s code-0 made of dracon, costing 3,800€ with discount, but I still remember how I've killed the original pentex one… a couple of times! Hence, a quick and strong trimmer is forever a solid investment.

(Mind that if you pay peanuts, you’ll get monkeys... those lovely jumping beasts.)

During 8,000NM you will face a number of problems. Take them as low caloric food for you mind! Do not worry, be happy. DF1000s were made to pop nautical miles fast.

My final piece of advice goes to the Crew: you choose the Crew ashore but they will reveal themselves far from the coast. They are indispensable or solo! I have Miguel "Alcinho" Estik Lapiçe, the one and only :idea:

I hope this helps and I wish you Fair and Warm (Trade?) Winds.

Zé, "L'insolent" DF1000-27
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

Thanks for the story!

What did you use to charge batteries? Did you have a watermaker?
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
LInsolent

Post by LInsolent »

EarthBM wrote:Thanks for the story!

What did you use to charge batteries? Did you have a watermaker?
I have used a 55W Solara solar panel for the first 5/6 days (we have only repaired the engine on the 6th day when the wind dropped completely after the Equator (1º S).

No watermaker. 100 Lt on the tank and 80Lt on big plastic bottles plus 54 Litres of drinking water (36 bottles). The best 2 showers were during 2 tropical storms (roll the Genneker in time!)
Andy
Your Country: Panama, Panama/Balboa

Post by Andy »

Hi L'insolent,
I'm based in Sao Paulo, and as I imagine you have a DF1000 in Recife, right? if yes, I want to buy one, is it possible to fly to Recife and see your sailboat in detail and discuss all the advantages of having a DF1000? I will go to USA to check for some DF's. I had just mono all my life and want to change to tri, I looked for a Farrier or Corsair but finally decided to look for a DF as oceanic and beeter finished. If it'spossible I would like to have a chat with you about your experience in sailing DF
regards, Andy
Adventure maker
LInsolent

Post by LInsolent »

Andy wrote:Hi L'insolent,
I'm based in Sao Paulo, and as I imagine you have a DF1000 in Recife, right? if yes, I want to buy one, is it possible to fly to Recife and see your sailboat in detail and discuss all the advantages of having a DF1000? I will go to USA to check for some DF's. I had just mono all my life and want to change to tri, I looked for a Farrier or Corsair but finally decided to look for a DF as oceanic and beeter finished. If it'spossible I would like to have a chat with you about your experience in sailing DF
regards, Andy
Hi Andy,
You should change for a Tri for sure. You'll never go back.
I am considering the possibility of selling "L'Insolent" to buy a new DF32 next year. "L'Insolent" is at Recife but I am in Luanda, Angola, just in front, but in the other side of the Atlantic.
It is possible for you to go to Recife and see my Boat. Please write to me at z@alves-pereira.org Best Wishes, Zé