Trampoline mesh can breake during un-/folding

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Mario
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Trampoline mesh can breake during un-/folding

Post by Mario »

At the end of the last season I found the trampoline mesh broken at the aka/ama corner. I haven’t seen how it happened, but I am afraid it was because of friction in trampoline borders during un-/folding: During un-/folding the cable moves in the plastic pipe of the mesh border sleeve. Unfortunately, the plastic pipes tend to glide from mesh border sleeve and reaching the end at the sheave they fold and crake (photo1). I am afraid that if this folded pipe hinders the movement of the mesh border over the cable, the mesh crakes (photo2). Well, a little nasty thing to repair (I think, exchanging the entire trampoline just because of this is disproportional – also economically). Look at the photos how I made it my own way - surly not the best, therefore suggestions / comments are very appreciated.
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Trampoline damage

Post by Steve B. »

I own a DF 1000 and the folding system is similar.

I suspect the diagonal flat webbing which runs under the trampoline is either not connected on the forward end, or it's too long.

It's there to take the unfolding strain until the tramp is ALMOST fully open.
It should only go slack when the mat is fully rectangular.
If it isn't loaded, the corner of the trampoline will break open just as you have seen.

Steve B.
Mario

Post by Mario »

thanks Steve, but I have no diagonal flat webbing under the trampoline on my boat - must be a bit another system/ modification in relation to 1000 anyway.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Mario wrote:thanks Steve, but I have no diagonal flat webbing under the trampoline on my boat - must be a bit another system/ modification in relation to 1000 anyway.
Yes you do Mario -- it is shown in the lower portion of this image http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/images35/tram08.jpg

It is the strap that attaches to the becket of the turning block, and it is slack in the lower right. You can see the stitches in the net for a pocket that contains the line or cable Steve is talking about.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Larry beat me to it. I could have posted the same thing.

Post by Steve B. »

It goes from the damaged area and is sewn loosely diagonally across the underside of the mat to the inner forward corner where it is attached to the hull.

Steve B.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

BTW that was a nice repair Mario. If you ever want to start a second career.... :wink:
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Mario

Post by Mario »

Thank You Larry, this is the answer I expected! I scarified so much time and thoughts and, and, yes: heart in it, and I was so proud when I finished it. Just wanted to hear admiration, applause for my invention (this with keder=poliester+PCV) and irons), for this fantastic job (this with the hand-sewing machine) I done, but I got so boring answers… Thanks Larry again.

This flat webbing has nothing to do with gliding of plastic tube from the border sleeve. Folding plastic tube, as presented on photos, hinders the movement of the trampoline towards turning block and, in consequence, increases tension in ama/aka corner what makes the mesh rupture. The flat webbing is most tight when the ama is totally folded, and is perfectly tight to protect trampolines dangle to the water. There is no extra connection on the forward end as there is no end: this strap is sutured/ welded to the mesh and the mesh is fixed correctly in the sleeve on the front aka.
I just wrote about it to warn the folks: if you see plastic tube gliding from the trampolines border sleeve so cut it away - it will never glide-in again, it is impossible to feed it back, and it can be the reason for the mesh rupture. Thanks Larry.
Einar Gloersen
Your Country: Norway, Oslo

Post by Einar Gloersen »

If the plastic tube hasn't moved to far out it’s possible to get it back. I pushed it back 40cm today. When unfolded, secure the safety wire in the bough. Then release the outhaul line and the tension on the wire will disappear. If this is not enough, take a rope through the barberhaul block and fasten it to the flat webbing, and tighten it. This will straighten the trampoline without tension on the wire. Also, I used some TFT oil inside the plastic tube. Of course, impossible to do this if the plastic tube is as damaged as shown in your picture.
Einar
DF35 No.16 Gwaihir