Swing wing damage

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
JP
Your Country: Switzerland

Swing wing damage

Post by JP »

There is so much pull on the ends of the swing-wing line that I had to reset the end loop on the ama, but now I had the other end and the pully broken off the inside part of the ama close to the hull, I have pictures (will try to load them?). my question is: should I make a metal plate to reinforce that part, how are the new boat built? Thanks to comment...
DF 800 on Lake Geneva
JP

Post by JP »

Repair id done, I made a wooden part and epoxied it in place behind the fiberglass wall, in fact just to support the reconstruction of the fiberglass that was teared off. After completing the fiberglass work and not so sure about how it would hold, I did put an aluminum covering and secured the pullies and end of line through that part that will better distibute the load. I tested it and seems to be ok. I will reinforce the other side with a similar metal part. I am sending pics to Bo, hoping he can include them in the post. Hope that this will help, interest other owners.

Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image Image Image
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

JP,
The last picture you posted looks like the top hinge plate is bent? Has anyone else picked this up?
That could be one of your issues.

Just my observation.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
JP

Post by JP »

I have checked and the top metal plate is ok. In fact it broke when two crew members were on the tramp, they got their butt wet but nothing else. The line was ok to fold but not anymore to unfold.
The force on the line during folding/unfolding is normal (say one hand on the winch). Now that I have reinforced the port side, I will do same on starboard, just in case. Thanks for your comment anyway.
DF 800 on Lake Geneva