antifoulng 800sw

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
allanmcdougall
Your Country: new zealand, whakatane, bay of plenty

antifoulng 800sw

Post by allanmcdougall »

Hello- I am keeping my dragonfly 800 sw Kihitara on a marina berth and wondered about antifouling ( including the centreboard) I would be willing to do this myself if I could figure out how to do the centreboard.
I did ask for a marina lift out so as to get the boat professionally done, but the guys are a bit scared of how to lift it without damaging the folded boat. Has anyone experience and willing to share it? Allan
sailing 1993 swing wing 800 "Kihitara" acquired Nov 2010 Located whakatane, bay of plenty.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

It's easy

Post by Christian »

To lift a folded SW is easy if you got the right equipment - a crane with a lift-square. It is described in the users manual.
1) Remove mast. (don’t try to lift with mast)
2) Fold the boat
3) Put the slings around the main hull only
4) Put the slings outside the beams
5) And lift

My harbor has a small lift-square – so I have the front sling behind the beams – it works if the sling is broad.

And don’t forget to remove log and other things pointing out ounder the waterline.
/Christian

Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image
allanmcdougall

antifouling

Post by allanmcdougall »

Thankyou for that. I have just spoken with the marina people who decline to have anything to do with lifting the boat!
I wonder if it is possible to get at the centrebozrd by tilting the boat over, as I have done with my monohull trailer yacht, but I fear that I would damage the joints by doing this. The centreboard needs cleaned and antifouled, but presents the main problem! Thanks for your post Allan
sailing 1993 swing wing 800 "Kihitara" acquired Nov 2010 Located whakatane, bay of plenty.
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Centerboard cleaning and antifouling

Post by Steve B. »

I bought my DF1000 in 2000.
I painted the bottom with VC17 including the centerboard.
I've painted the bottom several times since, but never touched the board.
I keep it retracted whenever the boat isn't being sailed, and the board looks great. No fouling at all eleven years later, even though the boat's been kept in the water the whole time.
allanmcdougall

antifouling

Post by allanmcdougall »

Hey, thanks for the reply. I haved dived over to look at the centre board and it has a fair amont of growth - tubeworm /barnacle/small weed on it, with the surface being quite rough overall. Since I bought the boat I have kept the board up but perhaps it has not always been kept so.
When you antifoul the hulls, how do you manage this? On a trailer? Jacked up? Allan
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

I've got my own tide grid

Post by Steve B. »

I made a tide grid from my boat's shipping cradle.
It works great.
Pressure wash, slap on another layer of VC 17, zincs and I'm done.
allanmcdougall

antifouling

Post by allanmcdougall »

Thanks. I appreciate that. I guess by a tidegrid you mean a platform onto which the boat settles as the tide falls on a beach/mudflat?
I have wondered about doing something like this but I wonder how stable it will be if tall enough to allow the centreboard down. Cheers, Allan
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Photos

Post by Christian »

Hi
Bo just added som photos to my post - they are from different years.

If your marina can't do it - find another marina with some pro's that knows how to lift a small boat
/ Christian
allanmcdougall

antifouling

Post by allanmcdougall »

thanks a lot for your interest. I can show these photos to the lift manager and see what he thinks. I'll post when the job is done! Cheers, Allan
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

I just lower the board while it is on the cradle and paint it - simple as that.
Also I know on the 1000 you can access the top portion of the board by removing the table top.
I have never had any fowling on the board.

Also - it is easier to take the 800 in and out of the water on a trailer!

A lot cheaper in the long run too.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
allanmcdougall

antifouling

Post by allanmcdougall »

Thanks Ted, I will have a look at that next time I am with the boat. It's about 200km away from home! . Perhaps I can scrub down the board using a combination of this access and a low level jacking of the boat from the trailer
Many thanks for contributing Allan