How can we put ashore the df using the cables sheets?.

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
danceswithwaves-DF1000
Your Country: france, porquerolles

Post by danceswithwaves-DF1000 »

Using the cables seems to be the easiest way to put a df ashore.
It is not possible on all cane why?
How can we attach the mast, i think we have to ease off the backstays.
Is it possible to put the boat on wood blocks on the front and rear of the keel during the time of painting.
Best is the craddle but i don't have one.

Eric
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: How can we put ashore the df using the cables sheets?.

Post by Double Horizon »

danceswithwaves-DF1000 wrote:Using the cables seems to be the easiest way to put a df ashore.
It is not possible on all cane why?
How can we attach the mast, i think we have to ease off the backstays.
Is it possible to put the boat on wood blocks on the front and rear of the keel during the time of painting.
Best is the cradle but i don't have one.

Eric
Yes, your Dragonfly should have come with lifting cables. There are eyes to attach the cables at the beam bases. See image in the link http://www.nstsystems.com/multihulls/Pa ... oingin.jpg

When mounting or taking off the mast you will also need a crane. The wings should be open to allow the back stays to be loose. Do not use the spreader cross-bars to lift. Always place the sling around the main mast and tie it, so it slides up slightly higher than the center of balance.

Yes you can mount your Dragonfly on wood blocks, but it is not recommended. The blocks MUST be placed so the main weight is at the centerboard trunk and at the water-stay attachment points. (The factory cradle supports the boat only at the waterstay attachment points for the 1000 and 1200, and I think the 35. For the 920 it supports the boat beneath the forward water-stays and with a pad just aft of the centerboard slot.)

If you support the boat anywhere else, you risk damage. If you use stands to steady the boat on blocks beneath the centerboard, the stands should be under the water-stays. There is solid fiberglass along the centerline of each hull, but the remainder is cored -- with very thin skin.

Also, make sure the boat is level so the cockpit drains properly.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Post by Paul »

I usually keep my DF 800 on it's trailer, but in August will be sailing her 400 kilometres to compete in a race week, necessitating keeping her in the water for about a month, so will need to antifoul her bottom. I can paint about 70% of her main hull and 100% of the floats on the trailer, but getting at her bottom is a challenge. There is a nice level sandy beach at our marina where I can beach the boat and I am thinking of placing an old car tyre under her centreboard trunk and under the forward part of the hull aligned with the water stay points, then digging out the sand under the hull with a shovel to get access for a paint roller. I may not be able to paint all of her bottom using this method but there will only be a square metre or so unpainted. Has anyone tried this method or have any suggestions, or a better idea. I am trying to avoid lowering the mast and craning the boat if at all possible.

Paul
Df 800 #254
danceswithwaves-DF1000

Thank you Larry,
I don't see the crane complily on your picture.
I think the crane must be a mobile one so that it can go between the backstays and the mast where the gravity center is.
The crane of our marina only rotate so the backstays are a problem.
We have to go in an other marina.

Eric
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Lifting a DF1000 with a single point harness

Post by Steve B. »

The tip of the crane must be above the cap shrouds (backstays).
The lifting point is just forward of the windshield.

I have an old pic when we lifted my boat at the house and will send it to Bo.

Steve B.

Here is the photo showing clearly the lifting cable and the crane hook:

Image Please click on the photo to see it enlarged!
danceswithwaves-DF1000

Lifting a DF1000 with a single point harness

We put the boat ashore without pb with the harness.
It is very safty because of correct position with the center of gravity and no pb with speedo.
The crane must be high enough to be above the backstays when in lifting position.
For the craddle, we choose to build it in wood, it is more simple for me, my weld is very bad.
It has to be adapted next time with higher erternal oblic legs to support the entire weight of the boat.
An other post by Bo gives the length of the harness and is helpfull in DF1000 user topic "Lift a df1000 with lifting cables "
Pictures of the lifting:
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image