Ice Box Retro Fit

For all those DF1000 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Ice Box Retro Fit

Post by tpaliwoda »

Has anyone replaced their fridge with an ice box?

I am seriously thinking about ditching the fridge and building an icebox with a cold plate in it's place.

All the monohulls I race on use this method and I think it is pretty efficient. Throw some ice in to chill the beverages, turn on the cold plate and it works like a charm.

Also - looking for a set of plans for this too. From what I see on the web they use 1/4" plywood as a form and then insulate and fiberglass around it.

Thanks
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Ted -
If my 12v refrigerator died I would replace it with an Engel 12 Volt cooler/freezer, and put it on slides (they open on top) with some type of latch to secure it. They are about the most efficient air-cooled units you can buy, and they come in a variety of sizes.

If you're going to build-in an ice-box, you want it to open on top for efficiency so you might want to consider a total re-arrangement of the galley counter top and sink. The most efficient coolers are the Frigoboat (Danfoss) ones that use sea-water instead of air heat-transfer, so you'll also need a special thru-hull too. (On a hot sunny day with the cabin sealed up, it's not efficient to keep an ambient-air-cooled refrigerator cool).
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
TC
Your Country: USA, Sedro-Woolley

Refer rebuild

Post by TC »

I cannot find the entry, but Steve B. rebuilt/remodeled his refrigerator and posted it on the forum. I've seen the results and will eventually copy it. Essentially, he moved the batteries from under the step into the engine compartment. Then he moved the refer compressor from behind the refer to under the step where the batteries were (I understand there was enough compressor tubing existing to do this without modification). He then (essentially) cut the back out of the refer and and extended the refer compartment into the empty space behind the refer. Result: More than doubled the refer size and since the compressor is now in a more cool spot, improved the efficiency.
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Steve B.'s fridge mod

Post by Bo Wetzel »

Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Nice job, Steve B
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Larry,
That was what I was figuring, to redo that portion of the galley area and make it a top / countertop access ice box.
I could mount the compressor back in the engine compartment somewhere, I have plenty of room back there since I pulled out the cabin heater.

Really looking for a set of plans other than the West System one that keeps turning up everywhere I look.

Thanks
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Fridge mod

Post by Steve B. »

Mounting the compressor in the engine compartment is not a good idea imho.
Besides the heat issue, you wouldn't be able to get the evaporator connected through the bulkhead.

The main thing about the efficient operation for a refrigerator is that the compressor and the condenser assembly has GOT TO RECEIVE COOL AIR.
It must not recycle the same air.

I vented it with a piece of semi rigid foam so the air comes from the cooling fan below and through the condenser and is not allowed to go back around.
It HAS to go out via the kick panel under the refrigerator box.
The original fan inside the condenser is still operational.
With two original 32 watt Unisolar panels mounted on the amas and a 120 watt rigid panel mounted on my arch, we have all the electricity we need for the Spectra watermaker, the fridge, my computer, wireless wifi, autopilot etc.
The engine is now just for when there's NO wind, or having to make hot water.