News about the DF35

For all those DF35 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Transferer

News about the DF35

Post by Transferer »

Has somebody some news about the DF35?
What do you think about the weight compared to the sail area? Will it be a fast tri?
regards
egidio

[originally posted by: Egidio, Italy, 26 Nov 2005]
Last edited by Transferer on Tue 24 Oct 06, 9:56, edited 1 time in total.
Transferer

Look for the latest news about the DF35 at Quornings

Post by Transferer »

.... look at www.dragonfly.dk for the latest news on the development of the DF35.

[originally posted by: Bo Wetzel, 27 Nov 2005]
Last edited by Transferer on Tue 24 Oct 06, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Transferer

Testsail the new DF35

Post by Transferer »

I'm going to testsail the new Dragonfly 35 by the end of October. I will of course share my experience whit this community. The testsail is for use in a Danish newspaper. It's a hard work, but somebody has to do it :D

[originally posted by: Tore Johannesen, Denmark, 7 Oct 2006]
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
Your Country: Netherlands, Winkel NH

Testsail DF35

Post by Ipe Piccardt Brouwer »

Suspense is mounting... :?: :?: :?:
JackO
Your Country: Netherlands, Amstelveen

Post by JackO »

The testsail must be done by now I guess....

I'm very curious and anxiously awaiting...........
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
Your Country: Netherlands, Winkel NH

News on DF 35

Post by Ipe Piccardt Brouwer »

There are quite a few new pictures on the Quornings website since today. Spectacular!

www.dragonfly.dk
JackO

Post by JackO »

Ipe,

you're right! The new photo's on the DFsite are awesome.
Are there any speed-figures known to the public?
How fast will she go?

I also find that the kayak (prob also for surfboard) hatch in one of the ama's is a great idea, although placing too much weight in the ama's could be loss of performance and/or stability?
tojo
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Re: Testsail the new DF35

Post by tojo »

Transferer wrote:I'm going to testsail the new Dragonfly 35 by the end of October. I will of course share my experience whit this community. The testsail is for use in a Danish newspaper. It's a hard work, but somebody has to do it :D

[originally posted by: Tore Johannesen, Denmark, 7 Oct 2006]
Yes, the testsail is over. DF35 is the best Dragonfly ever. To see her sail is just as good, as sailing her. Our top speed was 18,5 kn in around 20 kn wind (10 meters/second). I will come back whit more.
JackO

Post by JackO »

On the Dragonfly website is an absolutely stunning film about the DF35.
You have to follow the link on the right hand of the screen, instead of the one on the left.

Sheer speed and an incredible ow-factor.

Jacco
JackO

Post by JackO »

I've implemented the link below.
Have fun ! :D

http://sejlsport.tv/dragonfly/pages/df3 ... index.html
zacu
Your Country: Finland, Espoo

The extended df35 video is also online

Post by zacu »

The extended version of the Df35 video has also been recently added to the Dragonfly site. It is even more stunning than the previous one. The boat looks pretty darn impressive, especially when they are sailing about 23 knots.

Here's the link:
http://sejlsport.tv/dragonfly/pages/df3 ... index.html

I would also be very interested to read the report about the df35 testsail that was mentioned. Any chance of sending more info/links/anything soon?

Not that I would be impatient or anything (nudge, nudge) :-)
solei
Your Country: Netherlands

DF 35

Post by solei »

I saw the DF35 on the Dusseldorf Boatshow in drak gray color which lokked high tech and superb. The outside looked stunning and she must sail fabulously. Still waiting on the report from Transferer.......

The inside was without doubt refreshing and new. 4 places to sleep and a kitchen on the right side. The only thing I did not like was the table who was placed guite high (25cm higher) and the seats also higher placed. I presume to have balance in the interior but to me it looked more like a bar instead of a place where to have a cosy sit with friends when the weather forces you. Personally I would prefer the interior of the 920 above that of the new 35.

It is without any question a very beautiful boat and will give lots of fun sailing it. However the downside of this is it's price of 321.500 Euro!!!

You can buy two Bavaria's 40 feet for that money. Quorning will need to reduce there production costs significantly otherwise they will lose contact with the market. Knowing that the market for boat around 10 - 11 meter is around 130.000 Euro for a monohull. A DF of the same size should not cost more that 170 to 190K Euro.
Sailfast?
Your Country:

Post by Sailfast? »

Saw the DF35 at Fredericia Boatshow in Denmark and pretty much agree with solei's post.

Exterior is stunning, aft and forward cabins are excellent, but the main cabin is so poorly designed it for me (and my wife) ruined the overall impression. It appears Quorning had to design the main cabin around the very large centerboard case and just didn't manage to get anything useful out of it, despite innovative details. Maybe a daggerboard solution would have offered better interior possibilities?

As for the cost I also agree with solei, except that Quorning really has no competition. I wouldn't even regard Corsair as a competitor. Quorning can keep on building Dragonfly's for years and be very successful at it. A trimaran is a niche product and Quorning is so nicely placed in that niche that they can make a very successful business without worrying about too high sales prices. (They could also possibly sell 5 times as many boats at half the cost but that's another story.)
tojo
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Post by tojo »

Yes you can get two Bavarian for one DF35. I have sailed a Bavarian 44 - and I have sailed both DF35 and DF920. If I had the money I would rather have one Dragonfly than 100 Bavarian.
Tore Johannesen
solei
Your Country: Netherlands

Post by solei »

Exactly Tojo, You are right but that is also the point I would like to make. The price of a DF is so high that only a few will be able or prepared to pay for it.

I do agree with Sailfast that Quorning should be able to reduce the building costs, take a good margin and offer these boats for a acceptable price. Production wise they are still having much to much hand labor. Either start producing in China or inovate the production.
Passion is ok and you can see that if you look at the DF boat. Being professional is also very much needed.........