Internal/external fuel tank?

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Vimsa
Your Country: Sweden

Internal/external fuel tank?

Post by Vimsa »

My Dragonfly 800 MkII has an gas cap but according to the previous owner no internal fuel tank is connected, hence I have an external tank by the rudder on the stern.
Does anyone know the reason for the missing tank, and if it's possible acceass that space to add a new one?
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Location?

Post by Christian »

Where is the gas cap?

A fixed gas tank is not standard in a DF800

If you want to know where it goes, it is just to follow the tube and try to figure out if there is a space for a tank in the end - but there are very few free spaces in a DF800.
Vimsa

Post by Vimsa »

It's on the port cockpit seat about 1 dm from the stern. I guess there is a small space between the seat and the hull where I figured that the tank could be located.
If it's not a standard piece of equipment, I'll forget the whole thing.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

When I had my 25, we would place the fuel tank on the swim platform, strapped down. Just remember that gasoline fumes in a confined space (under the deck or seat) is never a good idea!
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Vimsa

Post by Vimsa »

Yeah, that's where I keep it at the moment.
When I'm not in the boat I put it in the locker beneath the cockpit floor.
That doesn't seem to be optimal though since I can smell gasoline inside the boat with that placement.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Smell of gas

Post by Christian »

There is no solid wall between locker and cabin. If the tank leeks gas you will smell it in cabin.

The problem is sun and day/night temperature - I think. The volume in the tank changes with temperature and sometimes small amount of gas leeks out - that was the problem I had with my previous tank.

Maybe it is a good idea to connect a gas cap on the outside. Like someone did on your boat. Why not on the transom - or on the side of the swim platform. (I don't swim from that place) Then the gas leakage would go out in the air.

I got two holes in the transom - one for power to the autohelm and one for the fuel hose to the motor. Have to think before I make another one.