How to fix failed LCD hour meters from Volvo-Penta

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

How to fix failed LCD hour meters from Volvo-Penta

Post by Double Horizon »

I found this on another web discussion group:

This relates to the analog tachometer displays with integral digital hour counter that are made (sold as OEM) by VDO. If the tach still works but the LCD went blank, it is probably still incrementing the hour count but the display connection internally is bad.

You can open the unit by removing the two brass screw studs used to hold the mounting bracket, and twist off the front bezel surround ring (it is a twist-lock). The LCD module is connected to the main circuit board via a flat ribbon cable. The problem is poor contact between the pads of the ribbon cable and the board receptacle. Lever up each end of the receptacle to release pressure on the cable and pull it out. Lightly clean the pads of the end of the ribbon cable with contact cleaner. You may also need to get a little contact cleaner inside the receptacle. Fully dry each with hairdryer before reconnecting. Be careful when doing that as you don't want to overheat the ribbon cable.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Just to follow up -- I tried this and it did not work for my hour meter.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200