REEFING SET UP

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Joyce
Your Country: USA,BOSTON/MA

REEFING SET UP

Post by Joyce »

Is there a diagram available that shows how to set up the reefing lines?

On our 920, it appears that a step was missed when assembling. There is a pulley on each side of the mast that I think the reefing lines were supposed to go through. Is there a way to fix this without removing the sails and the boom and starting over? The lines now take 2 people to pull through the mast each time a reef is needed.

The manual says to tie shocks after reefing. My sail has holes to put lines through, but no lines - what do people find useful here - cotton lines to tie, some sort of bungee set up?

Addendum
I have the 4 blocks in place as specified. The part I think I'm missing is on the mast - after the reefing line comes out of the mast, it is currently going directly to the block on the sail. I see a pulley - maybe it's called a cheek block? on the mast above where the line comes out of the mast. I don't know what it's for, so I'm thinking it's for the reefing line.
Image Image Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!
Last edited by Joyce on Sun 17 Jun 07, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Reefing issues

Post by tpaliwoda »

To futher diagnose the problem - 1) do you have the blocks installed on the sail at the 1st reef point clew and tack and 2nd reef point clew and tack? You will need four blocks.
I know on my 1000 the lines come out of the sheetlock, go up the mast base, exit the mast / boom, go up to the block on the 1st or 2nd reef point TACK, down through a turning block in the front of the boom, through the boom, another turning block at the end of the boom, up to the 1st or 2nd block on the CLEW, and back down to the boom where it terminates.
It works with one person.

As for tying the sail to the boom, I usually do not have to since the blocks are doing all the work. I would normally just fold up the excess sail and tuck it in somehow.

Hope it helps.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Reefing issues

Post by gminkovsky »

Joyce,
Did you buy your boat from Richard Suriani - US Dragonfly dealer? If so, you should contact him. He is very supportive and will show you in great detail what needs to be done for reefing. He will also show you in person how to use screacher. Otherwise, drive 3 hours south and visit us in NY metro area. Although I haven't met all in person, I've spoken with or heard of a number of DF owners inclduing Ted, Larry, Tim and others. Between all of us, we have or had 800, 920, 920 extreme, 1000 and 1200!

Personally, I will be happy to show you my setup and special tricks. I am in Oyster Bay in Long Island Sound in NY.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Reefing issues

Post by gminkovsky »

Another note: it is very important to setup reefing properly. Please read older posts (maybe in the old format forum) that discuss chafing of the very expensive reefing lines (Dyneema/Spectra).