Carrying an Outboard Motor

For all those DF35 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
penryj
Your Country: New York, NY

Carrying an Outboard Motor

Post by penryj »

Given the absence of an aft rail on the DF35, does anyone have an elegant solution for carrying an outboard motor. All the brackets Ive seen from the likes of Garelick etc. are too ugly and they carry the engine too high. I have a 8hp 2-stroke Yamaha.
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

I have thought about fabricating a plate to be bolted to the brackets that hold the water ladder at the ama's stern. This way the dinghy outboard could be used as emergency propulsion. It would not be ideal (tiller control in the cockpit, motor control at the ama), but is probably the only solution for an outboard.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
penryj

Post by penryj »

I thought about that as a place to store it but was concerned that it would be to close to the waterline, when that ama was to leeward.
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

penryj wrote:I thought about that as a place to store it but was concerned that it would be to close to the waterline, when that ama was to leeward.
I agree. I think you need to buy (or make) a bolt-on bracket for the aft of the center hull. The original owner of my 1200 had one attached to the stern down low when the boat was built (a type that raises and lowers with spring-assist, so it could be lowered for alternate power if the engine failed). I used it first season but even when raised it was at deck level, and required me to reach below deck level to attach/detach the screw clamps, and was too awkward to lift it while bending that far over. I bought a Forespar Motor Mate for lifting on and off the dinghy, and since then installed a rail bracket anyway. My experience is that it is best if you can store the motor at rail level.

The Yamaha 2-stroke 8 weighs about the same as my motor (~60 pounds) so you won't have good control with just one hand, especially when bending low over the edge of the deck and trying to move it on/off a moving dinghy. It's really a two-person job, even with the Motor Mate, but if needed I can lower the engine and lock it in place hanging near water level, then move to the dinghy to mount it.

I think the alternate power idea is nice but really not practical except in very calm conditions, and still wouldn't give good maneuvering for a dock approach. Realistically, if my engine died I would sail into a harbor and anchor from sail, then call a marina or tow company for assistance with their work boat.

I never tried using the outboard to power my 1200, but was told the prior owner tried it with a 6 HP and it didn't move the boat very well.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
penryj

Post by penryj »

The lack of a rail on the DF35 has some drawbacks!
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr