Moorings - what works, what dosen't

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Lets see who uses what and what your experiences are!
If we can keep it in the same format - we might be on to something.

Size Boat - Dfly 1000
Type of bottom - Mud / sand
Anchor Type - Helix
Depth of water at MHW (Feet) - 10'
Lower chain - 3/4" - 15'
Upper chain - 5/8" - 15'
Mooring Ball - chain feed through middle.
Upper swivel - Custom made mooring swivel available through http://www.colligomarine.com/
Lines - 3 lines - all Yale Polydyne http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,398.htm

Good results - no chafe on any of the lines. I use one 3/4" line attached to the main hull and two 1/2" lines attached to the forward cross beams at the ammas.

Boat does not sail around the mooring at all.

Let's hear what you use.

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

Size Boat - DF920
Anchorage protection - completely open to the North, protected from prevailing South West
Type of bottom - Mud
Anchor Type - Mushroom, 300 lbs
Depth of water at MHW (Feet) - 22 feet
Lower chain - 5/8 inch - 20 feet
swivel
Upper chain - 1/2 inch - 43 feet
Mooring Ball - chain attaches below
Upper swivel - Custom made mooring swivel available through http://www.colligomarine.com/
Line to the mooring cleat - 3/4 inch 12 feet Yale Polydyne http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,31548.htm
Lines to the outboard eyes on forward aka - 2 lines 3/4 inch 20 feet http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,32186.htm

I also have a 7 foot 1/4 inch shock cord attached to the end of bow sprit that keeps the mooring ball away from main hull in calm conditions.

(At first to the naked eye it appears that the boat is held only by 1/4 inch shock cord. I had a few helpfull indifviduals tell me to change the line. With feigned concern I thank them and explain that it has worked for years like this and that Dragonflys do not need anything else! :lol: )

All lines have 2 foot long polyesther chafe protection where they touch the boat.

A good Nor'Easter will push the tide 4 feet above normal. My setup provides a little more than 3-1 scope.

In very light conditions the wind and/or current force the boat to circle the mooring constantly. The boat is often 180 degrees opposite all other boats (both sail and motor). So I keep my mooring as far away as possible.

I have not been able to come with a good way to leave the dinghy on the mooring and be able to easily pick up the lines. For now, I disconnect the mooring line from the mooring cleat and attach it to the dinghy. This leaves the dinghy on starboard side along the middle of the boat. When I detach bridle mooring lines, the pickup buoy is approximately at the stern of the dinghy. I come back along side the dinghy, pickup the bridle and connect one line on the OUTSIDE to the aka. I then disconnect the dinghy and tie it to the boat, so I can move the short mooring line to the mooring cleat. Then I drop bridle lines and maneuver them using boat hook under the bow sprit lines to their proper position on the INSIDE to the akas. It is inconvinient. All lines are wrapped with pipe insulation so they float. At the end of each bridle line is a color-coded float. The short mooring line is of different color. This way I always know which line goes where and I am able to keep them from tangling. Pickup bouy is attchaed to starboard bridle. The port bridle line is attached to the pickup bouy with a small bronze snap. If the dinghy is going on a trip, the short mooring line is also attached to the same snap on the pickup bouy. This way the lines will not tangle.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Re: Request for diagrams/pictures anchoring and mooring Posted: Tue 12 Jun 07, 21:41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joyce wrote:
How do you set up a bridle when mooring and or anchoring - on the 920?

When a front and rear anchor would be helpful, what procedure would you use? What would you carry for a second anchor? Where would you store it?

Our anchor in the locker is not pre-attached to anything. Do you leave it tied to the front cleat or just tie it on when you're going to use it?

For the anchoring question, you attach it to the front mooring cleat. Attach the bitter end to something in the anchor locker.
As for the second anchor, it is either for a two-way anchor, I think it is called a Bahama or Bermuda Anchor. Where both anchors are set 90 degrees apart from each other. Great for storm conditions.

As for the mooring question, Look in this this forum under "general" - "moorings, what works, what dosen't" for an earlier answer to your question.

Bo - you mayt want to move this to that topic so we don't have multiple topics for the same topic.
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Atlantic Highlands, NJ, USA
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA