Shipping by Container from the Med to Noth America

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
betsyderek
Your Country: Canada,Saltspring Island ,B.C.

Shipping by Container from the Med to Noth America

Post by betsyderek »

Hi, Does anyone have knowledge of who is best and economical to ship a DF 1000 by container from the Med to N.A. ? I am thinking if I bought one there sailed Turkey, Croatia etc then shipped by container. The mast is I think 45ft or 50ft.Thanks Derek
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Usually ship as deck cargo. I am pretty sure a 1000 will never fit in a shipping container.
You will need the original shipping cradle in order to do this.

Mast also goes as deck cargo.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

At the cross beam bases (with cross beams removed it is the widest point) the boat is too wide. Even on the cradle it will be classified as a "wide load" on the road.

I knew the measurement once because I shipped by truck, as I recall it was in the range of 10+ feet.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

It's definitely deck cargo. My 920 shipped on deck on its own cradle.

Shipping is easy. Contact shipping brokers or your boat dealer and they will make all the arrangement. The only issue is how many Euro and Dollars you will need. I would guess 7000+ euro and perhaps another 5000 dollars if Canadian ports are the same rip-off as US.

Make sure to buy insurance for the shipping. It was different than my yacht policy and about as expensive...

BTW, I thought Fred Grenning's 1000 was for sale somewhere in the Great Lakes... Or maybe it sold...
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Great Lakes boat

Post by Steve B. »

I'm pretty sure that boat sold to TC and the boat is now in Anacortes WA.

Steve B.