water tank

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
allanmcdougall
Your Country: new zealand, whakatane, bay of plenty

water tank

Post by allanmcdougall »

I have decided to do away with the fresh water tank due to the seal at the top repeatedly leaking and now having salt water fill up the tank as the boat slams into big seas I am not sure if this is constant slight leakage around the deck mounted filling point, or a backflow from the overflow. I suspect the latter due to the amount of water taken in. Has anyone else had this happen? Kihitara NZ
sailing 1993 swing wing 800 "Kihitara" acquired Nov 2010 Located whakatane, bay of plenty.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Do you drink that water?

Post by Christian »

How come you know the water is salt? Do you drink that water? Tank water is only for cleaning the plates. I use bottles for drinking water.

Have you replaced the o-ring?
allanmcdougall

Post by allanmcdougall »

Yes I have tasted it. Also - I emptied the tank before a journey and it was full afterwards! I dont know of any o ring on the intake. Is there one?
sailing 1993 swing wing 800 "Kihitara" acquired Nov 2010 Located whakatane, bay of plenty.
Christian

Auto refill!

Post by Christian »

Oops, auto refill! That is not good.

I'm quite sure that there is an o-ring on the blue plug to the tank. Fixing that would be number 1.

Christian
jrylander
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

Why not drinkt it?

Post by jrylander »

Why don't you use it for drinking? Seems pretty practical to me
Dragonfly 800 sw cruising from 1998
Christian

Why not?

Post by Christian »

Well, it is up to you, but cleaning and draining the tank is a problem. There is alway some water left in the system during the winter and that part that has been in the system does not smell nice.

One have to draing the system several times before it is usefull as washing water.

Anyhow - open the tank! It is quite easy. The lid is in the front (under the bunk) Just unscrew a bunch och screws. The first time I opened the tank - it was brown tracks on the sides in the tank. Had to clean it with soap and brush. That made me quite negative to drinking anything that been in that tank. So open and have a look.

/ Christian
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

This is how you prepare the tank for drinking: http://dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpBB/vi ... .php?t=171.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
allanmcdougall

Post by allanmcdougall »

I agree that I never liked to drink that water - because of chemical sealant used at the top of the tank and the taint from plastic hose etc. But main issue was the ingress of salt water.
Anyway- I have sealed up the intake, will use a water bottle under the cockpit connected to the tube from the sink.
I have hinged the glass top of the water tank so that I have another small storage space, particularly for those things that are seldom used but need to be aboard- certain tools etc. I also took out the toilet since even a small guy like me needed to be a bit of a contortionist to use it, and I hate to tip faeces into the water . A chemical toilet fits in the fuel tank under the cockpit. This gives lots of dry storage space which is easily accessed .
THANKS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS
axon22
Your Country: Austria,Graz/Eggenberg

Saltwater in freshwatertank, autorefill

Post by axon22 »

Your problem is a fresh water tank hose is broken.
The Proffesionnel to repair is important.

I did the year before last changed all the components of my fresh water tanks.

It was simply down to the hose between the deckfillopening and the fresh water tank.

In DF800 manual page 16 you will see two hoses. A fill and one for pressure equalization. Both tubes pass through the anchor locker.
The anchor locker is very deep down (see hole outside boards).
There must be one of your hoses broken.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that this is very difficult to repair, because these tubes have been installed as the upper and lower hull ship has not been glued.

The old hose is difficult to build, but the installation is the most difficult thing I've ever done on a ship.
 It took me two days to install this hose.
The problem is that the tube can be glued and sealed with the anchor locker, but need either from above or from below comes to you with your hand.

From below, there is a second partition wall of wood. (Http://www.gottlieb.at/web/gallery/albu ... G_0567.JPG)

It is therefore only possible to carry out the seal from the top!

My solution:
First Buy the identical tubes, what do you get the best material from each tube can Buy 2 meters longer than necessary

2). Adhesive 2 discs with an inner diameter of the hose and an outer diameter plus 2 cm to the hoses, the discs should be placed in the emitter of the hoses. wait until the silicone has cured.

Third Cut the tubing längseits so that the first 10 cm in diameter are gerigner. (In order to have easier to carry out through the holes.

4th Draw a thick line through the hoses min 10m), so you can move the Schläche later.

5.Ziehe the lines in from above through the maintenance hatch on the foredeck anchor locker

6 Now thoroughly clean the point of adhesion. (Write in simple, has taken me 3 hours) at the leash has a cotton cloth soaked with acetone, and then install bind.

7.Jetzt on the discs very much silicones (2cm thick) Apply move then un Schaluch with linen.

Better you are as a couple, no hot day and no rain.

I can not you post all the details here, but the most important thing is.

Finally, I must say that my DF800 differ from Owner Manual was built by having made following a bad solution for the fresh water tank:

Only one hose from the fresh water tank to the filler opening. This tube was a second Tube inserted in the anchor locker was performed through an opening again. The tubes were inserted into each other. A very bad solution.

That's the only bad work the shipyard Quorning been on my boat that I have found so far.

If you have further questions about fresh water tank system I try to answer them.

Fine summer
Greetings from Austria
Jürgen
allanmcdougall

Post by allanmcdougall »

Thankyou a lot Jurgen for your detailed reply. I have already blocked up the tank opening and put a hinge on the glass lid, so that it is now just a storage space.
I have re directed the hose for the sink tap to the sliding box under the cockpit and I have two 10l containeers of water there. This way I get clean water which I can easily replace without needing to use plastic hoses etc, so the water is fresh and has no bad taste. I do have to lift the hose out of the water bottle when I slide the box out but this is not a big problem!
Thanks again for your interest and your time . Allan