Tropical Heat- and Sleep.

For all those DF1200 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Bob in Brazil
Your Country: BRAZIL, Maraú Península / USA, La Jolla

Post by Bob in Brazil »

Good ventilation is essential in the Tropics.

For more comfortable sleeping in the lower latitudes...

* Does the DF 35 berth below the cockpit provide adequate ventilation?

* Or is the DF 1200's aft cabin significantly better ventilated, and therefore more comfortable?

Larry, you've had the 1000, 920 and 1200. What do you say?
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

I have slept in the DF35 aft cabin but it was cool weather and there is ventilation but I doubt you would consider the ventilation "good" for the tropics. You would probably want to add fans in either boat.

The 1200 has better ventilation, and the lift-up hatch lid acts as an air scoop; which can be more effective if you lower the dodger and cockpit bimini. It also has three opening ports (one each side and one aft). The 1200 also has full standing headroom in the aft compartment, an extra head, and if we expect an extended period of rain while at anchor we install the full cockpit enclosure to connect the two spaces, and we leave the side curtains open a bit for ventilation. There is a major difference in interior space and comfort between the 1200 and the 35.

This image doesn't show it, but the lid is at an angle that deflects air downward.

Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Bob in Brazil

Post by Bob in Brazil »

Concise and comprehensive reply.

Also addresses related question about volume (aka comfort) of 1200 vs 35 main cabins. Information like this is just not found on the Quorning site or, usually, elsewhere.

Thanks very much :D

Ventilation Fanatic, Brazil
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

I spoke with Richard at Dragonfly USA and he told me the newest DF35s being built now have an escape hatch in the aft cabin. If conditions are calm that would change things dramatically.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
penryj
Your Country: New York, NY

Post by penryj »

Yes, the 35 aft berth can get a little warm at times. Even when there is airflow from the main cabin hatch, there is a marked difference between lying in the airflow (starboard side) and behind the companionway (port side) We have a small hatch which opens into the cockpit deck but that doesn't do much.
Mind you, after Dubai, I'm not really complaining!
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr
Bob in Brazil

Post by Bob in Brazil »

Double Horizon wrote:I spoke with Richard at Dragonfly USA and he told me the newest DF35s being built now have an escape hatch in the aft cabin. If conditions are calm that would change things dramatically.
'Dramatically' improved ventilation!
Capsized. :wink: