DF photo logo: Dragonfly Trimarans User Forum  

Magnifying glass
Search the Forum

Forward V-berth as Owner Accommodation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragonfly Trimarans Forum Index -> DF1200 General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob in Brazil

Forward V-berth as Owner Accommodation?   Posted: Fri 17 Aug 12, 18:33    Reply with quote

Quorning clearly designates the forward V-berth for the DF 1200 owner's accommodation. Of course personal preference takes preference, even over traditional monohull logistics and comfort- smoother ride; proximity to the helm, sail handling, electronics, etc. But with a multihull- and especially a center cockpit design- I would have thought the 1200's aft cabin the ideal choice.

Why does Quorning promote the V-berth forward? Reply to the quesiton from Quorning did nothing to clarify. (Motor noise and vibration, maybe...?)

There must be compelling reasons to designate the V-berth for owner's accommodation. Can you say what they are? Confused
Double Horizon

Posted: Sat 18 Aug 12, 2:55    Reply with quote

The v-berth is part of the main cabin, with main head/shower, salon and galley. It has better ventilation, and is easier to enter and exit in the normal course of operating the boat and living aboard.

Edit: Also, opening the forward-facing aft cabin hatch will allow rain and spray to come in unless the full cockpit enclosure is already set up to connect the spaces.
Bob in Brazil

Forward V-berth as Owner Accommodation?   Posted: Sat 18 Aug 12, 20:41    Reply with quote

Good points. I may be exaggerating the importance underway of quick access to the cockpit and rest.
Double Horizon

Re: Forward V-berth as Owner Accommodation?   Posted: Sat 18 Aug 12, 21:41    Reply with quote

Bob in Brazil wrote:
Good points. I may be exaggerating the importance underway of quick access to the cockpit and rest.

If you are underway someone should be keeping watch. If you are off-watch and want to be available to respond quickly to the watch-keeper, you might choose to use an aft berth but my choice would be to use a quarter-berth in the main cabin. The V-berth would still be my first choice at anchor under normal circumstances.
Bob in Brazil

Posted: Sat 18 Aug 12, 21:53    Reply with quote

Plenty reasonable, especially the V-berth at anchor. Impossibly (at best), we seek the best of everything- all at the same time. Priorities, priorities... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragonfly Trimarans Forum Index -> DF1200 General Topics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: