rudder system

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Baboonty
Your Country: France/boat in Spain (Barcelona)

rudder system

Post by Baboonty »

Since I own my boat (3 years) I noticed an important play in the rudder system. As I got many things to replace and improve first, I didn't pay to much atttention to this issue.

It's time to get it right. I take note that:
- I need to make a quarter turn on my steering wheel to start a change direction
- The rudder movement is always noisy when mooring even in calm water.
- Autopilot is unable to keep track with power even on flat water and poorly efficient when downwind. works pretty good in others wind conditions.

The problem come from the 2 rudder head plates mounting.
These parts are joined together by only one bolt and so got loose.
I guess this is not the correct way to assemble these parts but I don't think there is a second hole in the plates to put another bolt (I have to check that soon when I'll go to my boat).
Unfortunately, I don't have a good picture to see you the current assembling.

Does anyone can explain or show me a picture or draw of the correct setting of the rudder head?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Olivier Valverde
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Check the bolts at the top of the rudder, looking up inside the stainless bracket that holds the stainless bracket. You might have had one or two fall out. They are 8 or 10 mm hex bolts (I don't remember) about 25 mm long. I had this problem and had to replace the bolt more than once. Use thread locking compound.

It is not joined by one bolt. There should be more than one.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

One bolt, not two - needs to be able to kick-up if needed. If there was a second added - remove it! Don't overly tighten as this will pinch the top of the rudder and prevent it from kicking up.

As or the wiggle - sounds like the steering cable below is stretched a bit.

Open the aft access hatch, crawl in and look up at either side - those cables are your steering cables. Should be a turnbuckle on either side. Tighten as needed.

Also when your in this "cave" might as well grease the four turning blocks that the cable runs through.

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

tpaliwoda wrote:One bolt, not two - needs to be able to kick-up if needed. If there was a second added - remove it! Don't overly tighten as this will pinch the top of the rudder and prevent it from kicking up.

As or the wiggle - sounds like the steering cable below is stretched a bit.

Open the aft access hatch, crawl in and look up at either side - those cables are your steering cables. Should be a turnbuckle on either side. Tighten as needed.

Also when your in this "cave" might as well grease the four turning blocks that the cable runs through.

Ted
Ted I wasn't referring to the bolt that holds the rudder to the stainless... I was referring to the bolts that hold the top of the stainless rudder-holder to the steering quadrant. Those are two bolts (maybe three, 8 or 10mm, my memory is a bit fuzzy).
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: rudder system

Post by Mika Harju »

Maybe these photos will help you.
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image Image
Baboonty
Your Country: France/boat in Spain (Barcelona)

Post by Baboonty »

Many thanks Mika, that's exactly what I needed.

I noticed that your rudder head is fixed with 2 bolts screwed directly in the plate thread from the lower part. On mine I get only one bolt (the front one) tighted with a nut under the plate..
I think my system has been a bit modified, I have to figure this out.

Do you have an idea of the size of the 2 bolts?

Another question, I would like to change the downhaul line, I guess the best way is from the cokpit after taking down the sheave box, is it correct?
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

Baboonty those are the bolts I was referring to above. Sorry if my description wasn't adequate.

I think you will find that even though you have one bolt, it should be two. They are 8 or 10 mm, about 25mm long.