Centreboard removal

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Dave
Your Country: England, Solent

Centreboard removal

Post by Dave »

Can anyone describe how to remove the centreboard? We have a DF920, but I guess it should be similar for all DFs. I can see from the User Guide that there is an Allenscrew that has to be removed from underneath, but it is not clear how the pivot pin is then removed. Does it just drop out once the Allenscrew is removed?

By the way, I may have the answer to some of the queries about centreboards getting jammed in the centreboard casing after beaching. The tip of our centreboard has been damaged, and over time water has entered the bottom 20cm and caused it to swell so that it is no longer possible to retract the centreboard fully up. If the boat were beached on firm sand, the centreboard would jam up in the slot and it would be impossible to wind it back down.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Assuming the design is as DF800

Post by Christian »

Hi

This is the way to do it on a DF800:
Lift the boat out of the water, and secure it. Don't just let it hang. Put supports under all hulls.
Make sure you have enough with space to let the centerboard down, without damaging it. Asfalt is hard and the board is heavy.

Have the board folded, you will find the screw in the front, (from below) Unscrew and let the board down halfways. Then you can grab the board, release the lines and hook it off.

Remember the lines controlling up and down will still be there.

It is a quite simple design, a pin in the front of the centerboard box, and a cutout in the board. The screw is blocking the cutout.

It might be a good idea to replace the lines when you have the possibility.

Assuming the design is as DF800
/Christian
Dave
Your Country: England, Solent

Post by Dave »

Christian

Thanks for your reply. Looking at the diagram in the user guide, the DF920 appears to have a similar design to your DF800. Your description makes a lot of sense - I had thought you had to remove the pivot pin before you could remove the centreboard, I didn't think that the centreboard would just slide off the pivot pin once the Allenscrew was removed.

Many thanks

Dave (Auryn, DF920 #35)