Bowsprit Repair

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
penryj
Your Country: New York, NY

Bowsprit Repair

Post by penryj »

Over time, the holes in the bowsprit which accept the locking pin have become enlarged through wear and tear / forcing of the pin into the hole when not properly aligned. The carbon fibres are exposed. Anyone know of a repair solution?
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr
Mario
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Post by Mario »

Hello penryj,
your problem prompt me to check my bowsprit. I use it a lot in 5 years now, but not so much harm I can see. Ok, white gelocat paint is off around the hole, but otherwise it looks nice. Bigger problems I had with the hole on the deck, which slowly lost sharp edges and required rep. I found a steel muff with nice 2 mm sleeve on the top, which I first glued in with gelcoat, but it was not strong enough, so I used epoxy and this was it! no problems with it in 2 years now. I can see that newer boats are born with metal muff - so it was not only mine, but a general problem. Back to your question: I think, I will do the same: fix a steel muff (just muff without sleeve with epoxy and paint with gelcoat.
Mario