compass dry

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
allanmcdougall
Your Country: new zealand, whakatane, bay of plenty

compass dry

Post by allanmcdougall »

My compass has suddenly gone dry. How do I get access to it for repair or replacement? I am not sure if I can prise off the plastic cover from the cockpit, or whether I have to take all the wood panels off inside the boat to get access.
If I do get access, any tips on replacing the fluid etc? Thanks
sailing 1993 swing wing 800 "Kihitara" acquired Nov 2010 Located whakatane, bay of plenty.
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

Hi Allan,
If you have the same bulkhead mounted Silva compass that I have on my 800 #257 I must admit that I'm the engineer behind it. It's been many years since construction but I'm pretty sure you have to get access to the backside of compass to demount it. If you manage, contact your local Silva/Nexus agent for advice on how to refill it. I guess you have to replace some O-ring as well. Good luck!
allanmcdougall

Post by allanmcdougall »

Thanks very much for the amazingly quick reply! I took the plunge and prised it off, successfully. The compass has no name on it and it has a small screw at the midline which seems to give access to the inside, though I am not sure whether this is where it leaked. The bowl sits on a black plastic tub and I guess there might be an o-ring inside that somewhere, but I cant easily seperate it from the glass bowl. I guess I will have to be take the risk. Allan
sailing 1993 swing wing 800 "Kihitara" acquired Nov 2010 Located whakatane, bay of plenty.
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

If you don't manage to fix your compass I could recommend "my" model http://www.nexusmarine.se/products/silv ... ses/100bh/ which is original mounted in my boat :)
allanmcdougall

compass

Post by allanmcdougall »

Thanks for your information. I tried repairing it but it is beyond that. I have bought a cheap alternative- hope it is ok- and will fill the space then mount new one where best fits Regards, Allan McDougall