Swing Wing operating when docked

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Swing Wing operating when docked

Post by Mika Harju »

Is it allowed to open the Swing Wing system (amas out) without any external support when docked on the winter cradle ?
The load for pivot axes will be quite high during the movement.
What is the weight of akas and amas?
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

I do it all the time on my 920. If the mast is up, the bulk of the weight is supported by the backstays. When I step up the mast, I actually stand on one of the amas at a time to connect the backstay to the ama. Of course, all of this is for short period of time. I would support the amas with boat stands if left for prolonged time.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: Swing Wing operating when docked

Post by Double Horizon »

Mika Harju wrote:Is it allowed to open the Swing Wing system (amas out) without any external support when docked on the winter cradle ?
I advise you to support the amas with extra stands. The weight of the amas themselves is not a concern:

1) Strong storm-force cross-winds can blow the boat over.
2) Weight of heavy snow and ice can be many hundreds of kilograms, and could stress the hinges/beam connections.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Swing Wing operating when docked

Post by Mika Harju »

Double Horizon wrote:
Mika Harju wrote:Is it allowed to open the Swing Wing system (amas out) without any external support when docked on the winter cradle ?
I advise you to support the amas with extra stands. The weight of the amas themselves is not a concern:

1) Strong storm-force cross-winds can blow the boat over.
2) Weight of heavy snow and ice can be many hundreds of kilograms, and could stress the hinges/beam connections.
Yes, I am supporting the amas with stands when they are opened. I am just making some maintenance work there and polishing the amas. I was wondering is it possible to do the opening prosedure without any support?
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Yes - -it should be no problem.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200