Happy New Year

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Happy New Year

Post by Bo Wetzel »

Happy New Year and exciting but trouble free sailing in 2012.

Bo (DF forum admin)
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

happy new year, here's to hoping it's not the last.

where's everyone?
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

EarthBM wrote:snip
where's everyone?
Earning a living, and winter boat projects. My current projects are:

1) replace dodger/bimini (local canvas shop)
2) connect chart-plotter to heading sensor so I can get MARPA and Chart overlay
3) replace aft-shroud lowers and wire rope in aft beams (folding lines)

What are other people's projects? Please post about them in the appropriate sections -- this board needs some content to come back to life.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
TC
Your Country: USA, Sedro-Woolley

Projects...

Post by TC »

Prepping to venture into British Columbia's Desolation Sound next summer

Done:
-Replaced OEM head with Raritan PHII lower body (happy wife!)
-Replaced all lights with LED
-Connected galley overhead light to the under cabinet light. Now all galley lights are operated by 1 switch. The two remaining starboard side overhead lights (forward of galley continue to operate as normal.
-Head light and galley-under-cabinet light are now dual white or red.
-Moved thermostat to cabin centerline, just above the table on the mast trunk
-Installed MasterVolt battery monitor where t-stat was
-Installed MasterVolt battery charger
-Improved ventilation around refrigerator by cutting a lot of holes in plywood cabinet base
-Installed a ventilation mat under v-berth cushions
-Installed 6" inspection port in the saloon deck in vicinity of galley. Very convenient for a 6" fan to keep air circulating through bilge.
-Replaced a lot of the running rigging including some amsteel synthetic for the ama in/out
As of 24April:
-Installed CALB 180aH LiFePO4 (working great!)
-Replaced 12 year old 120 watt (total) solar panels with new 300 watt (total). Mounted a long, thin 25 watt panel on each aft aka, mounted a squarish 25 watt panel aft of the aft hatch on each ama, mounted a 100 watt panel on each ama forward of the aft aka. So, 100 watts available when folded, 300 watts spread, controlled through a port and starboard MPPT. Still experimenting with various loads, but to date, in cool weather, 100 watts are keeping up with the refrigerator...systems working great!
-Got a nearly new asymmetric spinnaker: .75 oz Doyle, 44' 3" luff, 40' 6" leech, 26' 1" foot
-Replaced the Finder 26.03 latching relays controlling the saloon lighting. Found a distributer in Knoxville willing to sell in quantities of less than 10. I balked at ordering via Europe just to avoid a $57 shipping charge. Found the relay failed because the momentary switch had failed creating constant contact.
-Add port of call, name and accent graphics: Strider; Anacortes, WA

To Do:
-Sticking centerboard, it is catching on the trunk and remains about 9" down.
-Hatch screens

My wife thinks I'm trying to prove the old 'hole in the water' saying true. Hoping for a great new year for all!
Last edited by TC on Tue 24 Apr 12, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

TC - a few comments/questions:
I assume you have researched the charging implications of using LiFePO4 batteries? Would be interested learning in what else you might need to change.

Single-braid Amsteel is very slippery and I wouldn't think it will hold well in a rope clutch. Is your Amsteel a double-braid or is it covered at the clutches, to keep it from slipping?

Also, your CB sticking might just be accumulated bottom paint (perhaps at the edges of the slot if not on the CB itself). Just a hunch.

That Raritan PH11 mechanism is excellent. I installed the PHC (same pump, compact base and handle) and have never used anything better. Open the pump once a year and coat the inside with some silicone grease, to keep it working like new.

Also -- would be interested in your source for the relays. It would be good to have a spare.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

Double Horizon wrote:TC - a few comments/questions:
I assume you have researched the charging implications of using LiFePO4 batteries? Would be interested learning in what else you might need to change.
Larry,

I've completed installation of four 200 aH LiFePo4 3.2 volt cells with a Mini BMS balancing system.

http://minibms.mybigcommerce.com/templa ... ibuted.pdf

We are putting our boat through a lot of upgrades.
These include Aerogel insulated new fridge from scratch with keel cooler, extra companionway step modifications and more.
I've not had a chance to really put the cells through their paces, but what I've experienced so far looks awfully good.

The LiFePo4 cells charge at all you can throw at them until full.
Then, all of a sudden, they are done! I set my alternator's single stage adjustable regulator as low as it would go, 14.3 volts.
EDIT: I replaced the alternator's regulator for a single stage variable voltage BALMAR regulator which I keep set at 13.8 volts.

The internal resistance of these cells is very low, so they literally drink the amps until full and during discharge, there's hardly any voltage drop.
You can safely discharge to 80% and they don't have any negative effects from being left partially discharged.
In fact, they actually PREFER it.

I've written more on the Cruiser's forum and you've probably read that thread.

I'd do it all over again in a minute!
Last edited by Steve B. on Mon 04 Sep 17, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
EarthBM

Re: Projects...

Post by EarthBM »

TC wrote: -Head light and galley-under-cabinet light are now dual white or red.
A newbie question, I've seen references to red lights in the cabin before -- what's the objective please?

I am still to get up the learning curve to think of any specific projects that make sense. The only one I am working on is a furling Code Zero: I have non-OEM square-top UK sails, and the main feels too powerful for the genoa, so to avoid weather helm I de-power it more than feels right, eg on close haul it is never fully sheeted in. Also where I am going (So Cal in May), winds are generally light. I am trying to figure out a way to use the gennaker tack line as the furling line on the Code zero, rather than running two new lines above the deck for a continuous furler.
TC

RE: Larry and Ivan

Post by TC »

Larry,
Regarding the LiFePO4: I live about 2hrs from Steve B. and am following his example. He is light years ahead of me and I see he has posted a response. Thanks for bailing me out Steve!

Regarding the Amsteel, it is single braid and uncovered. To date, I've not had any problems with slippage out of the clutch...and we have experienced some rough seas. I do however, have the rear braces in place at all times. I'll keep an eye on potential slippage.

Regarding the PHII, I just followed your recommendation in a previous post in the DF1000 section!

Regarding the relays, Industrial Electronics in Knoxville, Tennessee. www.ieknox.com/ POC: Tanya (865) 777-0099. I know one of mine is fried. Also, the 'mood lighting' above the saloon windows does not work. Perhaps it is a non-functional switch or the relay. In any case, I ordered three to have at least 1 spare. Once I figure everything out, I might have a spare. Else, Tanya (pronounced Tan-like the color-yah) is great, though a yankee accent throws her a bit.

Ivan,
Red light: simply, to preserve night vision. White light messes up night vision, up to 30 minutes to fully recover, while red light doesn't. This is why engine and navigation instruments are usually lit in red. Naval vessels go to 'darken ship' at sunset and all the interior white lights are off and red come on.

In detail, two $20 West Marine Economy LED Dome Lights (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50578), were installed, one in the head and one under the galley cabinet, over the sink and next to the companionway. Three position rocker switch, one side white, one red. The DF1000 is a bit tight for me and I'm constantly banging my noggin. At anchor or underway, at night, I need a bit of light to just avoid the head scrapes, but I don't want to kill the night vision. Hence, red in strategic positions along the route from the v-berth to the cockpit.
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Thanks! The purpose of red flashlights I have in the cabin is now clear to me!
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Spring projects

Post by Christian »

Happy new year to you of all!

Projects for this spring (before going back into the water)

1) New helm - going to bend teak and glue a new one. (Any experience here to share?)
2) New reading lights in cabin - LED makes it possible to have plenty of light
3) Fix a leek in BB ama

/ Christian
clarivoile
Your Country: La Rochelle FRANCE

Happy new year

Post by clarivoile »

everybody.
D920 E
TC

Amsteel Update

Post by TC »

Larry,

You are correct regarding the Amsteel.

Amsteel is alleged to have an 'anti-slip' coating. The ama extend/retract install worked well for a year, but I noticed it was slipping in the clutch this spring and the rear prevent-collapse spin pole was taking all the load. I also had to manually tail the line through the winches as it tended to catch and bunch up.

Bottom line: Replaced the Amsteel with Endura Dyneema Core Double Braid. With the limited use so far, the nets are rock solid!
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17