Wet/Dry Lockers

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Christine
Your Country: UK, South Coast

Wet/Dry Lockers

Post by Christine »

Which lockers on the boat should be dry, and why will be wet?

Thanks

Christine
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Post by Christian »

All lockers should be dry. However one of my amas is wet. The hatch leaks. But I use it for fenders, rops, swim ladder and other stuff that usually is wet.

When packing for a tour with a DF800 - I got the advice from the previous owner - pack in two bags. One bag with the stuff you need today, and one spare bag with the stuff for tomorrrow. Put the tomorrow bags in the amas.

Secondly I use waterproof bags. Water is always close.
/ Christian
MJF
Your Country: UK, Macclesfield / Cheshire

Post by MJF »

It is most likely to be the seals on the hatch handles, or rather the o-rings assuming the wet area is the storage area and its not water coming up through the inspection hatch in the bulkhead below!

The o-rings sealing the handles fail. Spares for the moonlight hatches in the
UK is Houdini: www.houdini-marine.co.uk
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Found the problem

Post by Christian »

Solved the problem a year ago. It was not the hatch handles – it was a crack between the hull sides of the ama. That crack has been there since I bought the boat. It's repaired now. So now the two amas are dry. However, it has the advantage that I had to mount a hatch in the bottom of the storage compartment. And then I got a basement! Perfect for two bags of dirty laundry or fenders that are not used very often. Storage is always usefull. Now I got basements in both amas. It is actually a good idea – even if there is problem with your ama – make an extra hatchway in the bottom of the storage compartment. And you got more space.