DF 35 loose steering chain.

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
petterfoo
Your Country: Stockholm, Sweden

DF 35 loose steering chain.

Post by petterfoo »

The chain from my steering wheel has become very loose.
The other day I could feel the chain jumping som cogs when tacking.

Has anyone had to tighten it before?
Could not find an obvious way to do it.
Mario
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Post by Mario »

Yes, I had the same problem several yers ago. It was very unpleasant very loud hard bang as it was sth breaking. But not when tacking, rather when there was too much load on steer from too much sheeted main.
I tensioned the chain by depressing the lower cogwheel. Just placed several washers under cylindrical housing of the cogwheel.
petterfoo
Your Country: Stockholm, Sweden

Post by petterfoo »

Got down to the boat saturday in better light conditions.
The problem turned out to be that the aluminium mounting bracket for the steering mechanism at the top of the engine room had been slightly bent.
The only way we could think of that this could have happened is when we had the engine lifted out last year for repairs.
They must have bumped into the the bracket when reinserting the engine.

It was quiet easy to fix.
The chain tension is adjusted by 8 adjustment bolts holding the steering mechanism in place.
4 of the bolts has lock-nuts on which the whole mechanism is suspended, these adjusts the position.
The other 4 bolts with allen heads counteracts any lifting force of the mechanism, in other words sets the chain tension.

So to solve my problem i adjusted the nuts so the mechanism was level again.
Then it was just a matter of setting the chain tension with the allen-bolts.

Sounds simple?
Try doing it upside down in the engine compartmen:)
Mario
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Post by Mario »

Hej petterfoo, I don’t understand / recognize your description: The chain tension is adjusted by 8 adjustment bolts holding the steering mechanism in place...
Can be, we have different solution on our boats. Please look at my pic: I had to lower the steering box – I called it “cylindrical housing of the cogwheel” with several washers, while you have bolts with lock-nutts and allen heads to adjust tension. Can you possibly take a pic of that?
How difficult it is I know very well – look at my “Autopilot” thread…
Mario
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image