Gennaker sheet

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Gennaker sheet

Post by Christian »

According to drawings in the manual; the gennaker sheet is supposed to go between the gennaker and the forestay. This means that the whole gennaker has to pass through the slit between the forestay and the gennaker each jibe.

I think that it will be easier to jibe; if the sheet goes on the outside. This means the jibe procedure will be to release the gennaker sheet and let the gennaker fly, and then sheet the gennaker on the new course.

How do you do this? Pro and cons?
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Gennaker sheet inside or outside?

Post by Steve B. »

I have tried it both ways, and prefer inside.
If done outside and your timing isn't perfect, the sheet can go under the boat.
Inside with bad timing, you can get caught on a dock cleat, or get an hourglass.

Steve B.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

I too have tried it both ways and agree with Steve.

If you do run it outside, you should have an extension on the sprit (about 1 meter past the tack) to catch the "lazy" sheet and hopefully keep it from running under the boat. In any event, make sure that when you let it fly you keep the clew close to the luff and don't let either sheet go completely loose.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Tried with the genao

Post by Christian »

Got a large genao – that also is mounted on the sprit. Where going down wind – so I let the sheet run on the outside. It was much easier to gibe.

I think that the wire running from sprit to ama on both sides, catches the sheet – and prevent them from dropping below the boat. Got the feeling that it was hard to get the sheet under the boat – it has to go outside the ama. But the genao is smaller than the gennaker.

Has anyone actually got the sheet under the boat?