What set of sails is recommended?

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Mathias
Your Country: Germany, Hamburg

What set of sails is recommended?

Post by Mathias »

Dear All,

I am still waiting for my first season with a DF28 sport, but I can already imagine that one may want to use more than one set of sails, in order to better be able to adjust to the weather conditions.

A DF28 Sport comes with

- Main 42 m^2
- Genoa 21 m^2
- Code0 45 m^2
- Asymmetric Spinnaker 83 m^2

So, would it, for instance, make sense to have a second, smaller asymmetric spinnaker on board for slightly stronger winds? And if so, what size should that reasonably be? 50ish m^2 ? Or simply the size of the spi of the Touring version, which would be 65 m^2?

I am not familiar with the notations, but I guess what I am asking is whether there is any point in having any Code N with N !=0 on board…

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinnaker)

It could live in its own snuffer and be easy to swap in.

Thanks for all feedback.

Cheers

Mathias
DF28 Sport, Red Pearl, Sail GER2896, Calling Name DJ6448, MMSI 211628220
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

Hi Mathias,
I have been sailing on and against DF28 Sport.
Next sails I'd go for is a larger gennaker of 95-100 m2 and a smaller self-tacking jib (hardwear kit needed can be bought from Dragonfly Sverige) for strong wind or easy handling while cruising.
DF800R, SWE-257
Mathias

Post by Mathias »

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for this info! I had not reckoned that I should be looking for an even larger spi.

I'll check this out and report back.

Cheers

Mathias
Stefan Kolmodin

The original set-up you describe is good but in light wind you love an X-large gennaker.
Upwind in light wind you can hopefully use the Code 0 with the right design and that you have good halyards.
In really strong wind it's great to have a smaller jib to match a fully reefed main for balance. I've just ordered one to my own DF800R which feels over powered above 12 m/s with 18,5 m2 genua.

Congrats to your new boat!
DF800R, SWE-257
Mathias

Post by Mathias »

Thanks. It is hard to have to wait for a few more months… :x

I forgot to specify that the Genoa is a furling one. So, it should be possible to reef it such that it is in balance with a reefed Main, or am I overlooking something?

Cheers

Mathias
Stefan Kolmodin

When reefing with the furler the area is reduced but the sail profile normally get deeper - the opposite of what you want in strong wind - so for upwind sailing you can only reef a couple of turns keeping an ok profile and also a large genua is made of thinner cloth than a hard wind jib. My freinds with DF28Sport loves their self tacking jib.

But of course everything works depending on personal preferences, budget and how picky you are with performance. Some never uses the gennaker included and others have three or four of them - and the original setup is very good to start with :D
DF800R, SWE-257
Mathias

Post by Mathias »

Ah, ok, got it. Thanks so much!

Cheers

Mathias
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

I think you should sail the boat a season before buying more sails. Your personal sailing style and local conditions may allow you to be satisfied with what you already have ordered.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Mathias

Post by Mathias »

Thanks Larry, this is very sensible advise. It is just that I cannot wait, really… :oops:

I have meanwhile checked with Quorning and what they supply is actually the following from Elvstrøm:

- Main 42 m^2
- Genoa 21 m^2
- Code0 45.3 m^2, EPEX membrane with 0,5 oz film and Technora fibres
- Asymmetric Spinnaker 83 m^2, Code 2A, Contender Superkote 75 – weight material 40 gr

So, the spi is considered to be a light-wind spi as far as Quorning and Elvstrøm are concerned.

I'll find out in a few months… :)

Cheers

Mathias
Thomas Larsson
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Thomas Larsson »

Hi Mathias,

I sailed a DF28 a few days this summer with a self tacking jib. For me this is great since I have young kids and because we sail in the Stockholm archipelago with it's many islands and narrow passages, requiring a lot of tacking going upwind. So it really fits my needs.

If you don't have to handle the boat by yourself I think the standard genoa will be just fine.

The asymmetric spinnaker on this boat was ~105 sqm, so it's possible to go a bit bigger than standard but this also means a deeper cut spinnaker.

I think that you really have to consider if you sail in a windy area or not.

The trend around here in code 0 is that they are cut flatter and are used for upwind sailing in up to ~8 knots of wind.

I agree with Larry. Get to know the boat and then evaluate if you will need additional sails. The DF28 is a joy to sail, have fun!!

Kind regards
Mr W