DF 1000 polar

For all those DF1000 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Baboonty
Your Country: France/boat in Spain (Barcelona)

DF 1000 polar

Post by Baboonty »

Does anyone got a polar diagram for DF1000 or any else DF?
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

Check out 2007 Yacht World article on the dragonfly.dk press page. It has dr 35 poplars that seem accurate in flat water.

I am getting an NMEA - wifi device (just $120 or so), which should allow me to build actual polars in iRegatta.

Bottom line you can get close to wind speed on a reach in 10 knots in flat water
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Post by Mika Harju »

EarthBM wrote: I am getting an NMEA - wifi device (just $120 or so), which should allow me to build actual polars in iRegatta.
I think there is no polars available for DF1000. I have spent a lot of time to look after them, but no success.

EarthBM, I am interested about the device you told, could you please give more information about it, thanks.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Hi Mika, how was your Barcelona- Adriatic sail?

The nmea-wifi bridge is from http://www.madmanmarine.com/ , but when I installed it today the nmea sentences were garbled up and iRegatta could not read them.
moilanen.a

Post by moilanen.a »

Hi EarthBM,

Did you get your serial to wifi bridge working? I had similar problems with my own serial to wifi bridge at the beginning. After changing the port to 10110 suggested somewhere over the internet made it magically to work with the iPad softwares. So if you are able to change the default port of yours (55555) to 10110 it might do the trick. I'm running my bridge with UDP protocol instead of TCP, as it should fit better for this use.

Let me know if this resolves your problem!

PS. There is an interesting app for the iPad http://www.sailtimerapp.com/
Maybe worth of looking for you, as it has US charts available...
Ex. DF800
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

I started to look into that once and found the sailtimer app unfortunately isn't much good without the sailtimer instruments, which (like other sailing instruments) are quite expensive.

If you were just buying instruments it might make you decide to buy theirs, but if you already have instruments it becomes very expensive just to obtain polars with the sailtimer app.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
moilanen.a

Post by moilanen.a »

Double Horizon,

I'm not sure if i understand you message right or maybe you haven't had a look for the app for a while. Sailtimer app uses iPad's built in GPS module and it will accept NMEA wind sentences over wifi (if your wind vane is capable of sending data in format "$IIMWV" and you have a nmea wifi bridge onboard.)
Maybe in future, Sailtimer accept more sentences over wifi in nmea, but for now it will only accept wind. This is bad for iPad wifi owners as those don't have built in GPS.

I'm not saying this would be ideal app only to build Polars, but their TTD- Tacking time to destination looks interesting to me.

...Maybe we should start a new topic for softwares onboard under General? I see this topic very interesting
Ex. DF800
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

What bridge model are you using please? Is it connected to NMEA 183 output wire or something else?
moilanen.a wrote:Hi EarthBM,

Did you get your serial to wifi bridge working? I had similar problems with my own serial to wifi bridge at the beginning. After changing the port to 10110 suggested somewhere over the internet made it magically to work with the iPad softwares. So if you are able to change the default port of yours (55555) to 10110 it might do the trick. I'm running my bridge with UDP protocol instead of TCP, as it should fit better for this use.

Let me know if this resolves your problem!

PS. There is an interesting app for the iPad http://www.sailtimerapp.com/
Maybe worth of looking for you, as it has US charts available...
moilanen.a

Post by moilanen.a »

Hi EarthBM,

I have coded my own bridge with python on Arduino Yun board. (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardY ... wsV-vmSx8E)

It is connected to NMEA 0183 in/out wire on Tacktick wireless interface (Tacktick outputs RS485/RS482, not RS232).
Ex. DF800
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Thanks. That's beyond my knowledge. I did buy a Comar nmea-wifi bridge, installed it last weekend. Seems to work well, so I will start building real world polars in iRegatta soon.