Wintering 920 Out Of The Water

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Roger Ferrall
Your Country: Longford, Ireland

Post by Roger Ferrall »

This year I intend to winter my 920 on a Brenderup trailer, with the mast up and the amas out but supported. Would this put undue stress on any part of the boat?

Roger Ferrall
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

920 winter storage

Post by Double Horizon »

I'm not familiar with the trailer but unless it is made to Quorning specifications I would not use it.

The Quorning factory cradle supports the 920 aft-center a few cm behind the centerboard, and forward on each side at the waterstay attachment points. If you support it anywhere else you should consult Quorning or you risk crushing or distorting the foam core or possibly even piercing the skins.

As for mast-up I see no issue with that if your amas are open and supported. The supports should be only at the very bottom/middle of the ama and it would be good to use pads or boards to spread the loads, because it is solid fiberglass along the bottom (foam core everywhere else). I would advise against leaving mast up with amas folded in winter storms -- unless you run well-secured low-stretch ropes to connect the tensioned halyards to the ground or immovable objects well away fromn the boat on each side.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Roger Ferrall
Your Country: Longford, Ireland

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Thanks for your reply Larry; Yes the trailer is made to Quorning spec. so should have no problems.

Regards,

Roger.